FORUMS: list search recent posts

Home studio set-up: Do I need an audio interface and AJA card?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olivier Prudhomme
Home studio set-up: Do I need an audio interface and AJA card?
on Nov 28, 2017 at 12:25:10 am

I have an iMac 27" 2017, 3.4mghxz. 32gb
I work as an editor in a company and I get side gigs for wich I work from home.
I have a basic setup: computer, second monitor and client monitor (regular HD TV)

Even if things "work" as-is , is there any benefit in getting an audio interface and also a AJA or black magic card / box?

Thx

Los Angeles - TV Promo Editor - FCP - AVID

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Home studio set-up: Do I need an audio interface and AJA card?
on Nov 28, 2017 at 5:03:33 am

[Olivier Prudhomme] "
Even if things "work" as-is , is there any benefit in getting an audio interface and also a AJA or black magic card / box?"

The video link below might be worth watching. Having said that for me purchasing the the Intensity Shuttle was money well spent.

For audio I use a Berhinger USB mixing board. It lets me add a little EQ so I don't have to do it during the editing process.

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Nov 28, 2017 at 6:51:18 am

very informative
Thx!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 28, 2017 at 5:56:40 am

HOw do you get the video signal to the client monitor currently? Using an IO device like AJA or Blackmagic will get a proper video signal to a TV, for better color if you intend on color correcting.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Nov 28, 2017 at 6:45:41 am

right now the TV is connected via USB c / HDMI adapter
I don't intent on using it for CC since it's not calibrated

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 28, 2017 at 7:32:12 am

Do you intend on color correcting what you are editing, or only using a client monitor to see it full screen? If the latter, you already have a setup that is working....so why add soemthing you don't need?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Nov 28, 2017 at 8:19:06 am

[Shane Ross] "Do you intend on color correcting what you are editing, or only using a client monitor to see it full screen? If the latter, you already have a setup that is working....so why add soemthing you don't need?"

I would tend to agree. 3rd party hardware is great if you need to output for broadcast (CC & composition) or have interlaced video. Most people do not need 3rd party hardware. Having said that I do actually like dropping 1080P 30P and 60P video into an interlaced timeline because the motion graphics playback super smooth and the video it's self looks smoother on the broadcast compliant hardware. For me it was money well spent ($180.00) but not everyone will need it.

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Nov 28, 2017 at 5:06:44 pm

[andy patterson] " I do actually like dropping 1080P 30P and 60P video into an interlaced timeline "

Interesting.
Why would you do that other than smooth playback if it was shot progressive which I would think will mean Progressive delivery?

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Nov 28, 2017 at 5:58:07 pm

[Olivier Prudhomme] "[andy patterson] " I do actually like dropping 1080P 30P and 60P video into an interlaced timeline "

Interesting.
Why would you do that other than smooth playback if it was shot progressive which I would think will mean Progressive delivery?"

Broadcast is still done at 1080i. I like to the show the client what it would look like if broadcast over the airwaves. Most my stuff is for the web but I do like being able to give a broadcast compliant preview to the client. Having said that I do get interlaced video. Interlaced video looks horrible on the computer screen. I have my old CRT monitor for editing mini DV and VHS tapes. Those video formats look awesome on the old CRT but monitors but do not look that great on the HD monitors.

A 60P timeline/sequence will playback smooth but it works the CPU and GPU really hard. 30P has a choppy look to it for motion graphics and the video does not look that smooth. 1080i is the best of both worlds (especially sports or action shots). With Premiere Pro you can simply switch the timeline/sequence to 1080P at 60 FPS for output. If you want you can leave the timeline at 1080i and let Media Encoder output to 60P. With the Intensity Shuttle I just get a real smooth playback to broadcast compliant monitors (interlaced). A 60P timeline/sequence does play smooth on the computer monitor if you have a powerful computer. Premiere Pro does not take a hit in real-time playback using 3rd party hardware. The Nvidia GTX 1060 does the interlacing with ease. Any mediocre GPU can do the interlacing or deinterlacing with ease.

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Nov 29, 2017 at 1:24:41 am

Thx Andy. Good info!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]