FORUMS: list search recent posts

Review my PPro workflow for fictional work

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rhys Sherring
Review my PPro workflow for fictional work
on Nov 22, 2017 at 9:34:31 am

I'm curious how people go about their workflows when editing things like short films in PPro. Below is how I approached cutting together my graduate short film. It should be noted that I myself edited together the image, sound, VFX and colour.

1. I watched the rushes of every video file and used a paper log sheet, noting down usable takes.
2. I imported every single video and external audio file into premiere and renamed each of them according to scene, shot and take.
3. I then created a sequence for every scene, and placed all of the footage (with camera audio) and external audio per scene on their respective sequences.
4. I individually exported XML's of each of these timelines and imported them into PluralEyes one by one, synced the audio, then exported XML's again, if i recall correctly.
5. I imported those new XML's into Premiere, resulting in a sequence for every scene, with all of the footage synced to the external audio.

Thus when I started the picture edit, I was only ever cutting with synced audio. Only thing was that I had to swim through shots in each of their respective sequence timelines. But I guess either way, I'd have to swim through the Bins of the project if i was just going through rushes, only this way I had the audio synced already. I just had to copy and paste from those sequences, to my main edit sequence, and cut accordingly.

I guess if a professional sound department was involved, they would handle the audio syncing? Any idea how they do it in the big time?

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Review my PPro workflow for fictional work
on Nov 22, 2017 at 2:57:28 pm

[Rhys Sherring] "2. I imported every single video and external audio file into premiere and renamed each of them according to scene, shot and take. "

That's being quite thorough but there's no need to rename your clips. You can organize scenes, shots and takes in timelines

[Rhys Sherring] "4. I individually exported XML's of each of these timelines and imported them into PluralEyes one by one, synced the audio, then exported XML's again, if i recall correctly."

You can streamline this step by doing all of your audio syncing in Premiere.

[Rhys Sherring] "Only thing was that I had to swim through shots in each of their respective sequence timelines."

That swimming method is also called pancake editing (you can skim through a source timeline which is positioned above your program timeline) and it works very well and is a very efficient method of editing.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]