FORUMS: list search recent posts

disabling right click menu on dell laptop

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Smith
disabling right click menu on dell laptop
on Nov 21, 2017 at 3:07:47 am

I do all my offline cutting on a newish Dell laptop. Works great for my workflow.

The problem is moving the timeline playhead. Generally, I plant my thumb on the track pad to move the playhead to where the mouse is, then, with my index finger (while still holding down the mousepad with the thumb), move the playhead back and forth. I've been doing this for ten years on laptops with FCP and Premiere.

Lately, I've also noticed that combination is also what triggers the right click contextual menu. I cannot get the menu to stop coming up.

There has got to be a way to turn off that particular functionality.

On the Dell prefs, I can modify basically everything else (two finger triggers, three finger triggers, etc). Is there a way in Premiere or a third party app in Dell?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: disabling right click menu on dell laptop
on Nov 21, 2017 at 4:32:17 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 22, 2017 at 4:09:00 pm

I guess I don't get it -- why not just plug in a mouse?

How much does a nice 2-button USB mouse with a roller wheel cost these days? Less than 20 bucks? Or do you have one just lying around? Or do you know someone who doesn't need a mouse any more?

There's got to be a better solution than what you're currently trying to do.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Smith
Re: disabling right click menu on dell laptop
on Nov 27, 2017 at 7:17:27 am

I guess that I am frequently in situations where there is little room: chairs with the laptop on my lap, I frequently work while traveling and on the road in cars and the like, or I'm sitting on a couch, or outside on the grass, etc. Just for the benefit of the doubt, let's assume there are many, many more situations that would preclude using a mouse and having access to the space needed to operate one. Or if it's easier, let's say my usb port doesn't work and I can't plug a mouse in. The end result: I can't/don't wish to use a mouse - it does not fit in with my work life style.

For the record, I was extremely efficient in using my right hand to activate mapped keys and my left on the trackpad. I have been working this way for almost ten years, I'm fast, and I've have had zero complaints.

Now with a MacBook pro, it didn't seem to have this behavior, but I am shifting to PCs for a whole host of different reasons. My entire problem is that, despite the programmability of the settings for the PC touchpad, if you touch the trackpad with the thumb and forefinger and press the pad itself, that right click menu will pop up, and there seems to be no way to deactivate it. Is there a program one can install or is there another forum that can advise?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]