FORUMS: list search recent posts

4k editing - do I really need a better computer?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sabrina Inderbitzi
4k editing - do I really need a better computer?
on Nov 18, 2017 at 1:44:43 pm

Hi everybody

I know my imac is old, but I think its still a decent machine.
My imac is a 27", Mid 2010, 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7. I upgraded the RAM to 12gb and put in an 1TB SSD.

I think that with these specs it should be possible to edit 4k (XAVC from a Sony A6300) in Premiere Pro or is it definitely too slow? Or is there a bottleneck or maybe some other idea? (with proxys it works perfectly, but it needs a lot of time converting)

Thanks in advance for ideas, thought etc.
Sabrina

Return to posts index

Ann Bens
Re: 4k editing - do I really need a better computer?
on Nov 18, 2017 at 10:55:18 pm

Descent but old and too slow for 4K native.
Proxies is the way to go.

-----------------------------------------------
Adobe Certified Expert Premiere Pro CS2/CS6/CC
Adobe Community Professional

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 19, 2017 at 3:11:18 am

that old imac is decent but not for 4k editing. Upgrade to a new computer with a fast CPU, a high end GPU , plenty of RAM (32 gigs) and 4k editing will work just fine.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Nov 23, 2017 at 3:18:06 pm

I have a brand new 27 inch IMAC 3.4mghz 32gb of ram and 4K is very painful
Make sure to store the footage on external drive

Los Angeles - TV Promo Editor - FCP - AVID

Return to posts index

Sabrina Inderbitzi
on Nov 24, 2017 at 12:18:23 pm

Hi! Thanks a lot for your evaluation it helped a lot.

Only one question at Olivier Prudhomme: Why storing the footage on an external drive? I wont be faster, will it?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 24, 2017 at 8:13:47 pm

[Sabrina Inderbitzi] "Only one question at Olivier Prudhomme: Why storing the footage on an external drive? I wont be faster, will it?
"

Yes.
Offloading your data to an external creates less stress to your internal HD which your CPU has to deal with.

Return to posts index

John Weaver
on Nov 27, 2017 at 5:56:23 am

I will second the use of proxies if you aren't already using them. I didn't have issues until I started using 4K video with a high bitrate. Even after building a custom rig, things would slow down after adding edits, effects, and more. So I create proxies for everything now.

You can do that in your project window by selecting the videos you're working with, right clicking and choose "Create Proxies". I recommend finding a resolution that is the same ratio as the video you're using or creating a custom preset, otherwise you will get black bars around the edges. You can also go into File>Project Settings & set the ingest settings to create proxies so it will always create proxies on anything you import (at least to that project).

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

david payne
on Nov 29, 2017 at 10:19:49 am

I tried 2 different 2015 iMacs and a top spec Mac Pro and neither could handle 4k.

I am back on my PC which handles it more (despite costing a third of the mac pro) however when I have a lot of 4k to edit, as others have suggested, I proxy all the way to the bank.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]