FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoder keeps crashing

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Northall
Encoder keeps crashing
on Nov 18, 2017 at 11:55:29 am

Hi,
I'm having terrible difficulty trying to encode (create proxies only) large folders of video files.
Folders containing less than 100 Gb seem to work ok, but when I try to load my main data folders (individually, not all at once) which are about 350 to 500 Gb each, Encoder starts loading fine, eventually slows loading to a crawl and ultimately crashes.
Is this a memory issue? Vitual memory is currently set at.. Min 24.5 Gb, Max at 65.5 Gb, would setting this to auto make any difference?
I don't want to break the main folders down to smaller if possible. In an ideal world I would point Encoder at the entire files parent folder (3.5 Tb) and say "Encode it all", then come back in a few days to find my proxies. This is what a colleague did on his Mac with FCP X (took 4 days).

System:
Win 10 Pro x64
PP CC 2017
AMD 8350 8 Core 4 GHz
16Gb RAM
NVidia GeForce GT630
System disc 250Gb SSD
Dedicated files disc 6Tb 7200

Any help will be most welcome.
Thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Encoder keeps crashing
on Nov 19, 2017 at 3:24:51 am

You're having problems because your computer is lacking power. Upgrade to a faster CPU and higher end GPU along with at least 32 gigs of RAM and you'll see a dramatic improvement.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Peter Northall
on Nov 20, 2017 at 10:30:47 am

Hi Greg,
Thanks for your reply.
I don't have enough knowledge to evaluate this myself, but I'm surprised. My PC isn't exactly slow, it handles most tasks with ease. My concern arises because a colleague with a 5 yr old iMac handled this task with no problem at all. My PC is about equivalent in performance, if not better. All I'm trying to do is encode data. There's nothing even on the timeline yet. Why is it unable to queue and load data as necessary, within the parameters of available memory? I don't dispute what you say, but I'll be grateful if you will help me understand it better.
Thanks again.
Peter

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 20, 2017 at 5:44:04 pm

I'm taking a guess so you'll have to do some troubleshooting or sleuthing to confirm.

A good starting point would be for you to download a utility like Process Explorer to see in detail what's causing your system to bog down. here's the link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

By saying that smaller folders don't cause trouble leads me to think that you're running out of RAM with the larger folders.

I have 32gigs of RAM in my system and when I'm working in Premiere it regularly takes at least 20gigs or more of that RAM to operate smoothly.

Also, where are you encoding this media to? Do you have a fast drive or raid? You may also be running into a bottleneck of data.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Peter Northall
on Nov 22, 2017 at 3:44:07 pm

Hi,
Well I had a look at process explorer... tbh most of it is way beyond my skillset, but I do see that Premiere (not Encoder) is using most of the memory.
I've now added an additional 16Gb DDR3 RAM, with no real change.
I load the project, which is currently about 3500 clips, it takes a minute or so and by the time its loaded memory useage is indicated at about 35%. Strangely, for 5 mins after loading has finished and while nothing else is going on, indicted memory use continues to climb until it hits 99%, where it hovers most of the time.
I don't know what to make of all this or where to look for any answers. Any further help appreciated.
Win 10 Pro x64
PP CC 2017
AMD 8350 8 Core 4 GHz
32Gb RAM DDR3
NVidia GeForce GT630
System disc 250Gb SSD
Dedicated files disc 6Tb 7200

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 22, 2017 at 7:40:47 pm
Last Edited By greg janza on Nov 22, 2017 at 7:49:19 pm

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but if you're still struggling then most likely it's your CPU. It looks like yours is on the older side. Proxy creation is a CPU intensive process so that's probably your issue.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Peter Northall
on Nov 23, 2017 at 5:16:49 am

Hmm, I'm not sure you're right Greg. The system is pretty solid if not the fastest, and examining active processes shows the cpu as barely breaking a sweat. If I close PP after Encoder starts crunching then memory use drops to about 20%! I've found some forum threads on a Memory Leak bug so I'll return to previous install of PP and see what happens. Watch this space! Thanks again for being engaged here. P.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 23, 2017 at 6:28:23 am

Peter I hope I’m wrong. I’m just using my own system for comparison and so on my end any intensive adobe encoder processing puts most of the stress on my CPU. And when I looked at a benchmark comparison between your AMD 8350 and my i7-5820k it looked like the AMD lags behind quite dramatically.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-vs-AMD-FX-8350/257...

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Peter Northall
Memory Leak v. 12
on Nov 24, 2017 at 11:10:17 am

So the issue is a 'Memory Leak' bug in PP v 12.0. I reinstalled an earlier version and the problem has disappeared. Adobe say they'll have an update in December to fix it. All I have to do now is repeat all the work in the project to date as it won't launch with earlier version. Thanks Adobe. Grrr.

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Memory Leak v. 12
on Nov 25, 2017 at 5:09:04 pm

peter, great to hear that you've tracked the issue down.

If you don't want to redo all of your work, maybe this app will work for you:

http://joshcluderay.com/downgrade-premiere-project-converter/

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]