FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating closed captioning

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Colton
Creating closed captioning
on Nov 16, 2017 at 3:46:38 am

I have created a short documentary and have an opportunity to have it played on a local PBS station, but they want closed captioning, which I have never done before. When I try to do it, the default formatting is awful. I want to make the font bigger and tighten the kerning, but I can't figure out how to do that on Premiere. How do I do that?

And, if it cannot be done, is there an inexpensive plug-in that someone can recommend? I am running Premiere on Windows 10.

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Creating closed captioning
on Nov 16, 2017 at 7:15:50 am

What you are describing attempting to do isn't closed captioning....that's subtitling. And that will not meet the spec for PBS. Closed Captioning is a file that is embedded into the output, and you don't see the text unless you activate that option on your television.

So yes, you'll have to hire a company to do this. The trick is that you need to supply them with a timecoded script of the show. That is, a fully accurate script, with timecode on it every minute or two minutes indicating where in the project that wording happens. You give them a QT movie with window burn timecode, and a timecoded script, and they will produce the closed caption file.

Now you need to check the PBS spec sheet to see if they want just that file, or if they want a Quicktime or MXF file with that CC embedded. If the latter is the case, you'll need to take it to a post facility that provides that service.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Nov 16, 2017 at 7:27:03 am

When it comes to Closed Captioning you are pretty much stuck with one font and size.
There are specific guidelines that must be followed and adhered to.
Things like maximum characters per line, maximum lines per caption, positioning and how each caption is displayed are pretty much set in stone.

Black Background with White Text.
26 characters per line with a max of 32.
Usually no more than 2 lines per caption. Three are allowed by some Broadcasters.
Positioned so that none of your text or keys are covered.
Displayed as Pop-On in most cases with Paint-On or Roll-Up not allowed by most Broadcasters.

MovieCaptioner is a low cost option that may work for you.
You will have to do a bit of reasearch and watch some CC from a broadcaster like PBS. That will give you a pretty good idea of what is expected. Don’t watch it on something like the internet or steaming services like Netflix as those are considered to be Subtitles and different rules apply to them.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Nov 16, 2017 at 8:17:11 pm

What Shane said about the CC being embedded or separate files like a .cap, .asc, .scc etc. is absolutely correct.

You do not however need to provide a Transcript with Timecode most services will do all the CC Formatting, Timing and so on.
The one thing you will need to do is provide a very accurate Transcript of your show.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 16, 2017 at 8:59:10 pm

Ah, so timecoded scripts aren't needed...just scripts/transcripts of the show. Right...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Phillip Brock
on Nov 17, 2017 at 2:11:04 am

Rev.com they handle literally everything and will give you any file type you need. $1 a minute. Best deal ever!!!!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 19, 2017 at 2:44:15 pm

I second rev.com. They do a great job. Used them for hundreds of programs. Same price with or without a transcript.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]