FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mini-Documentary: What is your workflow?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olivier Prudhomme
Mini-Documentary: What is your workflow?
on Nov 14, 2017 at 11:45:31 pm

Just got hired to edit a 3min min doc: 4 hours of interview, talking heads. Great sound (Audio married to video, no issues there)
2 hours of Broll
All Shot on Sony: XMF files with the whole folder structure copied on external HD: PPro sees and reads the files fine.

Questions:
1) Transcoding
Playback 4K is demanding on my 2017 iMac. So I tried transcoding to Prores 422 (EditReady) but it is taking forever. A couple of days at least. I then tried Media Encoder and nothing really happened over night.
Is there a rule of thumb for transcoding time? 2min transcoding per min of 4K XMF or something like this so I can ballpark the time i'll need and also inform the client? (and also figure out if I am
2) Is it seamless to reconnect the .mov files created after transcoding to the xmf files?
3) The interviews are talking heads. Sound's great. The issue is that the persons talking are having a hard time to express themselves and keep on starting answers... then stopping then starting again wherever they left.
No transcription available, no script notes.
Do you guys go through the whole 4 hours and mark with notes every where?
Do you create sequences or stick to markers?

Thx!

Los Angeles - TV Promo Editor - FCP - AVID

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: Mini-Documentary: What is your workflow?
on Nov 15, 2017 at 7:35:20 am

Use proxy workflow? You can use a seperate programme (Resolve) or have PPro get AME to do it in background. Will still take a while.

Alternatively you can edit with video muted (or 1/4 res) as you make the radio edit then render (having set your previews to something less taxing). Advantage is you only ‘proxy’ a much smaller amount.

In terms of dealing with the material- this is prediting, you need to manage the time you have to make the minidoc out of the source. Listen through and make timecode notes of bits you want to keep (transcription very useful here - try soeedscriber or digital anarchy tool for automated).

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Mini-Documentary: What is your workflow?
on Nov 15, 2017 at 1:47:17 pm

I second trevor's notion of getting those interviews transcribed. The Digital Anarchy plugin works well. Without transcription you'll be wasting a lot of time going through all four hours of the interview material.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]