FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any reason I shouldn't tray upgrade my 2.93 octo 2009 Mac Pro to a 3.46 ghz to boost Premiere performance?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Roberts
Any reason I shouldn't tray upgrade my 2.93 octo 2009 Mac Pro to a 3.46 ghz to boost Premiere performance?
on Nov 13, 2017 at 9:08:12 pm
Last Edited By Bryan Roberts on Nov 13, 2017 at 9:08:33 pm

I have a 2.93 ghz octo 2009 Mac Pro that I still use as my primary edit bay computer and have for what seems like forever. It has been flashed to 5,1 so I'm running High Sierra now flawlessly. There was never a hugely compelling reason to upgrade to the trash can and only reasons not to. I have a GTX 1080 Ti video card, lots of expandable storage using a USB3 card, eSATA card, and an SSD boot drive. I know they've announced new Mac Pros that aren't all about style finally and will be more modular. The question is, will this get officially announced end of next year and then not released until 2019 and who knows what kind of delay there might be with demand expectedly high. So to give me a nice performance bump, I can get a 2009 tray upgrade (processor and memory tray) to 3.46 ghz 12 core processors that simply slide in my tower for around $700 (doesn't include ram which I already have 32 gb of that I'll just transfer over). I can't see any reason at this point to get a Mac Pro trashcan and it seems like a nominal amount of money in $700 to get me Mac Pro trashcan export / render speeds and a nice overall processing power bump to better handle 4k resolutions in Premiere until some great new Mac Pro system is announced right? It seems like the only thing I'm foregoing is Thunderbolt connections which generally hasn't been an issue for me thus far (my wife has a macbook air so the 2 times I've received raw footage on a TB only drive, I copy it to an edit drive using her macbook). Thoughts?

EDITOR
Commercial / Feature / Doc
http://www.BryanRobertsEditor.com

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Any reason I shouldn't tray upgrade my 2.93 octo 2009 Mac Pro to a 3.46 ghz to boost Premiere performance?
on Nov 14, 2017 at 1:38:42 am

Why not get a PC if you use Premiere Pro CC?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Any reason I shouldn't tray upgrade my 2.93 octo 2009 Mac Pro to a 3.46 ghz to boost Premiere performance?
on Nov 14, 2017 at 1:57:34 am

define performance.
there's render speed, playback speed, conforming speed, warp Stabilize, rendering previews, etc.

if you look at puget's premiere cpu page, you'll actually see that the more expensive processors don't do any better at realtime playback than cpu's several years ago. yep, its a market trick again. And h.264 is still horrible almost always requiring proxies.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CC-2017-1-2-CPU-Com...

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on Nov 14, 2017 at 3:04:19 am

Thanks guys for your insights. Interesting article. While there doesn’t seem to be a huge gain between those processors listed, I’m guessing going from a 2.93 Octo to 12 core 3.43 would be fairly sizable woudn’t you think? For me performance is all about real-time playback quality, ease of dealing with more compressed 4K codecs, and maybe the biggest is export speed.

I’ve been cutting on a Mac for 13 years and every single client I have is Mac based. Almost every final delivery asks for ProRes. I simply don’t want to deal with the inconvenience of being the lone PC user in my pool and having things not work smoothly when we’re working with files back and forth on tight deadlines. It’s the same reason why I tried to switch from iOS to Android. Great phones now, Android is a wonderful os... but all my clients have iPhones and when a director is in India or wherever the hell they may be shooting and they ask to hop on a FaceTime call before they go to sleep, it’s very inconvenient for me to say, sorry can you download skype and use it instead. I know it sounds cheesy but when you’re freelance and have great clients / directors etc. - you want everything in your relationship to be in their language so there’s a lesser chance that you start having people start whispering other editors in their ears between projects :)

EDITOR

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 14, 2017 at 3:19:35 am

[Bryan Roberts] " For me performance is all about real-time playback quality, ease of dealing with more compressed 4K codecs, and maybe the biggest is export speed."

I know you don't want to switch platforms but you should at least investigate your PC options. I say that as a former 20 plus year Mac user. When I wanted to upgrade my edit system for smooth 4k editing I initially thought in terms of upgrading my mac but then soon realized that the Mac offerings with fast cpu and powerful GPU were extremely limiting. There's an embarassment of riches available to you on the PC side with numerous GPU's, CPU's, Thunderbolt 3 enabled motherboards, etc.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 14, 2017 at 4:03:38 am

I upgraded my home system from a 2.23 x 8 core to a 2.93 x 12 core. Currently have an Nvidia GTX970 GPU.

This system outperforms the Mac Pro trashcan I use at my day job. I got the 12 core CPUs cheap and I did the upgrade myself. It was very much worth it, in my opinion.

You are upgrading to even faster CPUs, so the performance should be better. My one worry on what you are doing is power consumption and heat issue. If you are using multiple PCIe cards, a beefy GPU and maxing out the RAM, you might run up against what the Mac Pro tower was designed to handle.

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on Nov 14, 2017 at 12:11:27 pm

I’ll keep my pc options open when we have a clear next Mac Pro option next year.

Re heat issues - does anyone know: is it more efficient for cooling to run my system with the side panel on or just completely remove it? I have mine off now but considering the extra heat I’ll be dealing with, want to make sure I’m not creating an issue by trying to be clever and leaving the side panel off!

EDITOR

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Nov 14, 2017 at 5:02:11 pm

I always think that removing the side panel is a bad idea because you stop the designed front to back airflow in any system.
I could very well be wrong but that's my opinion.

I'm one of those who upgraded to the Dual Hex 3.46ghz CPU's and I just run MacsFanControl to deal with the extra heat.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on Nov 14, 2017 at 9:20:46 pm
Last Edited By Bryan Roberts on Nov 14, 2017 at 9:21:20 pm

Thanks Brent. Any issues with the 3.46? I just pulled the trigger this afternoon. $645 from Ebay with free shipping and they just ship me the entire tray, no need to swap out. I guess prices are falling since the new new mac pro has been confirmed from Apple... or maybe because we're talking about a computer upgrade for an 8 year old system :)

EDITOR

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Nov 14, 2017 at 9:50:58 pm

No issues at all.
I even have a GTX-980Ti GPU and my Power Supply has never had an issue.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 15, 2017 at 1:48:44 am

Definitely don’t keep the panel off. The case is designed to direct airflow in specific ways.

Return to posts index

Bryan Roberts
on Nov 15, 2017 at 2:45:27 am

The wrinkle is my 1080Ti has two big fans that vent the hot air back into the case rather than a stock blower going out of the case.

EDITOR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]