FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode effect on Adjustment layer bug

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
greg janza
Timecode effect on Adjustment layer bug
on Nov 12, 2017 at 4:07:33 am

I have a program that needed to be sent to a colorist. The colorist requested that we provide a reference video that has clip name and clip timecode burned in. In order to attach those two burn ins to the video I know that I need to add those effects to an adjustment layer or transparent layer on top of the timeline. Adding clip name is easy peasy but adding clip timecode is not possible. I can add the time code effect to the adjustment or transparent layer but there's no way to get it to read the correct time code.

No matter what setting I choose I get an incorrect timecode readout with the time code effect.

Does anyone know why this is so problematic in Premiere? If I add the time code effect to the clip itself it will read the correct time code but the problem with that is that the timecode burn window changes size depending on the size of the clip and my timeline is all 4k media in a 1920x1080 sequence in which many clips are size adjusted so it causes the timecode burn to adjust size.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
Re: Timecode effect on Adjustment layer bug
on Nov 12, 2017 at 6:44:13 am

How do you add clip names? Do you use a title for that or an effect?

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 12, 2017 at 4:52:26 pm

Both Clip name and time code are default Premiere effects that in theory should be attachable to any layer of video in the timeline.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 12, 2017 at 7:04:47 pm

This can be added in Media Encoder. You don’t need to add an effect to the sequence.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 12, 2017 at 8:07:19 pm

I'm wanting the individual clip timecode added to each and every shot in the timeline. I'm pretty sure that's not an option in Encoder. And again, it can be added directly to the clips in a timeline but it won't correctly attach itself from an adjustment or transparent layer. And while attaching the timecode does work when put directly on the clips, the problem with that is the sizing of the timecode burn changes with the sizing of each clip.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 13, 2017 at 12:58:24 am

I see what you are saying now. Sorry for misunderstanding.

The timecode effect in Premiere has a source track setting. Are you saying that when you apply it to the adjustment layer and set it to Video 1 , it does not display the correct timecode? Not able to test myself at the moment.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 13, 2017 at 2:56:24 am
Last Edited By greg janza on Nov 13, 2017 at 2:57:21 am

john, yes that's correct. When I add the timecode effect to an adjustment layer or transparent layer and then set it to video 1 the timecode that shows onscreen is incorrect.

I'm primarily trying to determine if this is a bug that Adobe needs to address or whether I'm missing something.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 14, 2017 at 4:16:22 am

I just tested it. You are right. It appears to be a bug. If it wasn't meant to work with transparent video or adjustment layers, why does it have a selector for the source video layer?

For what its worth, I tried it directly on clips, and occasionally, its still reading the wrong timecode. WTF?

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 14, 2017 at 5:01:50 am

thanks for confirming the issue john. I submitted a bug report to Adobe but we may be waiting awhile for a fix.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Ann Foo
on Nov 14, 2017 at 4:47:08 am

I think you're overcomplicating the process....

If you want source timecode, DON'T put the 'timecode' effect on an adjustment layer or any other layer. Add it directly onto every single clip in your cut, and as long as you set 'timecode source' parameter to 'Media', it should display source timecode as the colourist has requested.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 14, 2017 at 4:55:17 am

Here's the dilemma Ann, I have a 24:30 show with 99% of the show media 4k. The show is 1920x1080 and so about 80-90% of the show is size adjusted 4k clips. If I put the timecode effect directly on the clips I then have to go clip by clip to resize the timecode burn window to center bottom. And if I put the timecode effect on a clip that's been sized to 100% the timecode burn doesn't show up at all on screen because it defaults to the lower center portion of the full clip size.

So while it may appear that the simple solution is to put the timecode effect directly on the clips, that choice actually introduces a whole new problem. The timecode effect is set up to show the timecode from any video layer and so there must be a bug in either the effect or the translation between the metadata in the clips and the effect.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Ann Foo
on Nov 14, 2017 at 5:19:56 am

Can you put the TC effect on a 4K clip, resize it for that format, copy it, and paste it to all other 4K media (thus also copying the resize parametres)? I haven't tested this, just thought it could work.

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Nov 14, 2017 at 5:48:31 am

Ann, yes it will read the correct timecode if applied to one clip and copied over to the rest but the sizing problem remains for any 4k clip that is 80% size or larger, the timecode burn is hidden below the viewable screen area. The simple solution in my mind is that the timecode effect should not be affected by the resizing of a clip. the default timecode burn window should be a fixed size.

- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]