FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preview Quality in Premiere better than Exported Vid Quality

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heckt
Preview Quality in Premiere better than Exported Vid Quality
on Nov 8, 2017 at 1:53:17 am

Hello everyone. Finishing up a project and ran into an issue.

We used a t2i as Camera 1 and a t6i for Camera 2 close-ups. We shot in 1920x1080 at 29.97 fps. The footage looked very satisfactory while we edited in Premiere. However, we cannot duplicate the quality of the preview footage in our exported final video finals. We are of course exporting in H264, but no matter what Preset we use, there seems to be a clear loss of resolution quality. We tinkered with the settings in Media Encoder (changing from VBR 1-pass to VBR 2-pass, checking the "Maximum Render Depth" box, etc) and still have not found success. The videos look a little nicer on YouTube in small screen mode, but the full screen resolution is unsatisfactory. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Preview Quality in Premiere better than Exported Vid Quality
on Nov 8, 2017 at 10:57:56 am

You are recompressing footage that's already been compressed in capture. You can't get perfect 1:1 pristine quality from an H264 export. Also you didn't mention the exact export settings you used.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 8, 2017 at 2:43:54 pm

Please post a screen grab of your Export Settings, this is often very helpful with this sort of issue.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

John Heckt
on Nov 8, 2017 at 10:21:56 pm

Format: H264
Preset: YouTube 1080 HD

Basic Video Settings:
Width: 1920
Height: 1080

I've been rendering at Maximum Render Quality.
Bitrate Encoding: VBR, 2 Pass

Thanks for responses.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Nov 8, 2017 at 11:23:09 pm

Your video is 1080 and you are rendering 1080, don't use "Maximum Render Quality". Use that if you are scaling.
Also, if you can, please send your sequence to AME, select your render settings and do a screen grab. Post that screen grab. That will be helpful.
TC

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 9, 2017 at 3:15:03 pm

In Export Settings, have you checked "Use Previews"? If so, don't. The Previews are TEMP files that have been generated using we-don't-know-what format, and then the final export is being made from those temp files rather than the originals, adding another layer of compression. Re-compressing re-compressed video.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

John Heckt
on Nov 10, 2017 at 1:11:47 am

Is this the screenshot that you needed? If not, please direct me.

Return to posts index

John Heckt
on Nov 10, 2017 at 1:14:52 am

Here are two more screenshots of info.

Return to posts index

Todd Perchert
on Nov 10, 2017 at 3:05:17 pm

The only things I can see are that you wouldn't need the Maximum Depth or Maximum Render Quality checked. 40Mbps is quite high. I usually get good results with 15-20 variable bit rate.
What sort of degrade in quality are you seeing?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 10, 2017 at 3:27:41 pm

What Todd said. Keeping in mind that most camcorders shoot at around 28mbps, not going to gain anything by exporting at a much higher rate really.

Just try the YouTube 1080p 29.97 preset and don't touch any settings, just export as is and see what you get. Cranking up sliders and checking boxes sometimes has the opposite effect of what we expect.

Also - how are you viewing the exported clip to judge quality? Every player will provide different results, gamma shifts and such. Just import the .mp4 right back into Premiere and look at it there, then you at least have that constant to compare to original.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]