FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing Very Large Still Images to be used in Video

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Freeman
Importing Very Large Still Images to be used in Video
on Nov 6, 2017 at 6:02:40 pm

As a relative newcomer to Premiere Pro having been a Sony Vegas user for years I am attempting to do a 4K video tour of a very large photo that measures 48533 x 19421 pixels. This photo is a stitched gigapixel image I shoot in Alaska.

Sony Vegas allows me to import the image and put it on the time line. I then set the length of the image to say 2 minutes. Using Keyframes, I then pan, tilt & zoom to create a video tour of the image. The problem I am having in Vegas is the rendered video is not smooth. As I do a pan or zoom it jumps for point to point which is very unpleasing.

I want to use Premiere to try a similar approach to see if it can render the video with not jumps or jerks in the final video. Howver, Premiere will not import the image at all. It gives an error stating that the "File video dimensions (width, height) too large". So, apparently there is some upper limit in Premiere related to still image size.

My questions are: What is that upper limit? Is there any way to get past that limit using After Effects or some other application?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Importing Very Large Still Images to be used in Video
on Nov 6, 2017 at 6:33:16 pm

From Adobe site - https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/importing-still-images.html

"The maximum frame size that can be imported for still images and movies is 256 megapixels, with a maximum dimension of 32,768 pixels in either direction. "

When applying motion using keyframes, use Ease In and Ease Out for smooth starts and stops.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Nov 7, 2017 at 4:18:03 pm

Unfortunately, After Effects won't be able to import it either.

"After Effects supports a maximum image size of 30,000 x 30,000 pixels for importing and rendering files."

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/preparing-importing-still-image...

"Photoshop supports a maximum pixel dimension of 300,000 by 300,000 pixels per image."

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/image-size-resolution.html#about_pi...

... so you'll need to reduce your image's size in Photoshop before working with it in Premiere or After Effects.

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
on Nov 7, 2017 at 4:35:10 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Nov 7, 2017 at 4:39:31 pm

If you're unable to get acceptably smooth motion in Vegas, and don't want to decrease your image's size, you might want to look into Black Magic Fusion (which has a free version). According to its website:

"Resolution independent with support for images over 32K x 32K. "

Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]