FORUMS: list search recent posts

Confused about mixing framerates, slow motion!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex delfont
Confused about mixing framerates, slow motion!
on Nov 4, 2017 at 7:50:53 am

Hi everyone

I've been reading for days about all this, but still feel confused, if anyone could just lay out straight for me I'd be very grateful.

I am from the UK but travel a lot. I have been using 25fps as I'm in Pal countries. Recently I got into doing slow motion and just went for the highest framerate on my Panasonic G80, 60fps. Then I was told by someone that I shouldnt interpret 60fps into 25fps, as it doesnt work so well and isnt as smooth. But I didnt want to just use 50fps which divides nicely, as surely those extra 10fps make a difference with slow motion?

now I'm wondering if I should just be shooting in 30fps all the time and using 60fps for slow motion, but was told I will have problems with artificial lights flickering! So I'm confused about how to continue capturing as I'm about to start a project.

Can anyone advise? Thanks

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
Re: Confused about mixing framerates, slow motion!
on Nov 4, 2017 at 12:03:57 pm

Premiere internally handles all of the frame rates for you naturally. If memory serves (as I'm not in the DVA team any longer), in the timeline, Premiere natively handles different frame rates and does a good looking playback so you can edit. However, when it is time to encode, it calculates any cadence issues and resolves them with proper rendering.

That said, if you're looking to do slow motion shots, 60fps is really even in the game and likely your camera isn't thinking 60fps is a slow motion mode. Really, 120fps or 240fps is where you start to get into that.

Hope this helps,
Dennis - former Adobe video guy.

Return to posts index

alex delfont
on Nov 5, 2017 at 3:41:46 am

Thanks

I know Premiere will handle all the framerates. I'm more wondering if I should shoot 2550/p or 30/60p as Im in a Pal country but also want to get the best smooth motion in slow motion and normal, whilst avoiding light flicker.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 6, 2017 at 2:47:05 pm

I shoot at 60p in the US and then edit as 30p. When I want a clip slowed down, I just apply 50% speed and the results are beautiful! For normal-speed clips in the timeline, Premiere is really just using every other frame from source, so that works out fine and looks great.

Remember that if you shoot at 60p thinking you will get extra frames for slow-motion, consider that it will not divide cleanly for those 60p source clips that you wish to play normal speed at 25p. Going to mess things up. I'd just shoot 50p myself.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

alex delfont
on Nov 7, 2017 at 2:39:19 am

Thanks for the response

From what i had read elsewhere, shooting at 60p and throwing it into a 30p timeline will look odd due to the shutter speed.

I actually noticed this with a clip I filmed in 60p and put in my 30p timeline, and it looks odd, not enough motion blur or something!

Return to posts index

Tom Karklins
on Nov 17, 2017 at 9:46:20 am

This video easily explains time remapping in premiere.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 19, 2017 at 3:05:27 pm

Set the speed to 42% and see if you like the results. That is close to the rate for 1:1 playback. Wish there was a cinematools type program in Adobe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]