FORUMS: list search recent posts

Client Review on a TV?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Camin
Client Review on a TV?
on Nov 3, 2017 at 7:28:49 pm

I mainly create content for social media where it is viewed by most on a computer or a mobile device. What are your thoughts with doing client reviews on a nicer OLED TV? Not sure how well these can be calibrated.

Does the typical computer screen or mobile device have a larger color gamut and better picture quality than a TV of similar resolutions? Any other insight would be appreciated.

My gut tells me viewing on a TV only makes sense if it's going to broadcast or streaming and you want a more accurate preview.

Best regards,

Kevin Camin

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Client Review on a TV?
on Nov 3, 2017 at 8:49:30 pm

The color, composition and motion will look different on broadcast equipment. If it will be broadcast set up a 1080i timeline/sequence in Premiere Pro because most shows are broadcast with interlacing. You can drop 30P and 60P video clips into the interlaced timeline/sequence and it will playback very smooth. If you have interlaced video the Blackmagic Design products are money well spent. Interlaced video looks great on broadcast equipment but it never looks good on a computer screen. The video below might be worth watching.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 3, 2017 at 9:35:23 pm

We know the display device, but what kind of playback device would the client use?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Nov 4, 2017 at 1:22:28 am

[Dave LaRonde] "We know the display device, but what kind of playback device would the client use?"

You can render out a 60P version using ME or Premiere and email it to the client to watch on their computer or burn them a 1080i Blu-ray version for viewing it on a TV. Some people even post to YouTube or their website. There are many ways to let the client view the work in progress.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 4, 2017 at 5:57:18 am

there's a few tricks to calibrating tv's.

1. first, calibrate to a known standard:

a. you can use the disney calibration disk/thx tune up.(all tv's would need to be calibrated to this disk)

b. go pro and build a custom icc profile with external hardware. would have
to be driven by a HDMI attached computer.

Color Munki Photo
Spyder4 Pro
i1 Display Pro
OEM i1 Display
Colormunki Smile
SpectraCal C3

then use the free AE plugin opencolorio input/output and create a translation lut from the regular srgb and new color profile for premiere's lumetri.

you would need to burn this profile into a bluray disk.

2. cheapy way, calibrate using a custom lut.

Take a picture of your TV showing a png image of bars and tones color chart with a fully calibrated DSLR camera that had its own chart before. then use that image to create a difference lut with photoshop and export as lut natively or with iwltap plugin.

==================================================
most color monitors are sRGB. Newer Tv's can do often do larger color gamuts like P3, rec. 2020 etc.

If you do it perfectly right, the nicer Tv's actually do a really good job. samsung, lg etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]