FORUMS: list search recent posts

imac 27": connecting a second monitor and a client monitor but no Thunderbolt 3 port left for external HD.

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olivier Prudhomme
imac 27": connecting a second monitor and a client monitor but no Thunderbolt 3 port left for external HD.
on Nov 3, 2017 at 6:27:08 am

2017 iMac 27", 3.4ghz. 32gb RAM

I am able to connect the client monitor and the second monitor using the 2 available USB-C (thunderbolt 3) ports.
Now I don't have a port for my external drive(s).
I don't want to use USB2 for the ext. HD because of the speed limitation compare to Thunderbolt 2.

Any work around this pb?

Thx

Los Angeles - TV Promo Editor - FCP - AVID

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: imac 27": connecting a second monitor and a client monitor but no Thunderbolt 3 port left for external HD.
on Nov 3, 2017 at 11:39:01 am

[Olivier Prudhomme] "I don't want to use USB2 for the ext. HD because of the speed limitation compare to Thunderbolt 2."

Is it USB 2 or USB 3.1 2nd gen? The website site says "USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)". It is not as fast a Thunderbolt 3 but there is a decent amount of bandwidth there. Enough for 4, 5, 6 even 7 hard drives striped together. 12 hard drives striped together would create a bottle neck.

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
Re: imac 27": connecting a second monitor and a client monitor but no Thunderbolt 3 port left for external HD.
on Nov 3, 2017 at 3:16:27 pm

That would be good news.
I just still can’t find out on Apple website if it’s gen 1 or gen 2...
But I’ll keep looking

Thx!

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Nov 3, 2017 at 8:51:27 pm

It say USB 3.1 gen 2 on Apple's website.

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Nov 3, 2017 at 11:02:27 pm

I can't find it on Apple website.
All I can read is:

Four USB 3 ports (compatible with USB 2)

Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports with support for:
DisplayPort
Thunderbolt (up to 40 Gbps)
USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)
Thunderbolt 2, HDMI, DVI, and VGA supported using adapters (sold separately)
10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

Return to posts index

Olivier Prudhomme
on Nov 3, 2017 at 11:04:53 pm

USB 3 ports
Your iMac has four USB 3.0-compliant ports. You can connect compliant USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and USB 1.1 devices to these ports. Learn more about using USB devices with Mac computers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]