FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video File Still Too Big After Export to Desired Format

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lauren Kaiser
Video File Still Too Big After Export to Desired Format
on Nov 2, 2017 at 3:50:04 pm

So I just want to preface this post by stating I am relatively new to this and acknowledge this may be a dumb question, but I could really use some help.

I edited a video in Adobe Premiere and it is just over 3 hours long. I exported it from Premiere using the YouTube 1080 HD setting as that is the format I want it in. The problem is the file is 22GB and I need it to be much much smaller, maybe 10GB max. How can I make the file smaller without losing too much quality?

In Adobe Media Encoder even changing it to YouTube 720 looked as if it would only reduce the file size by about 1GB. I'm currently trying a few things in HandBrake, but I'm feeling a little lost. I'd ultimately like to use Adobe Media Encoder, but like I said I've already exported to the YouTube 1080 HD setting so trying that again wouldn't make my file smaller right?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Video File Still Too Big After Export to Desired Format
on Nov 2, 2017 at 6:24:58 pm

Have you checked the YouTube delivery specs?

Three hours is an EXTREMELY long time in YouTube -- they may not even accept something that long. If they do they may have a maximum file size, and your 3-hour may need the bejeezus compressed out of it just to upload it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 2, 2017 at 7:19:40 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Three hours is an EXTREMELY long time in YouTube -- they may not even accept something that long. "

I guess you haven't seen the 10 hour loops on YouTube of things like Nyan cat or other inane songs. Or the fireplace that goes for 16 hours. They have LONG videos on the Tubes

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 2, 2017 at 8:51:27 pm

Aside from making a video shorter, the only way to make the file smaller is to reduce the bitrate. Period. I think the YT 1080 default rate is 16, so for instance 8 should cut the file size in half. Of course, this will reduce quality also, so do some SHORT sample exports and review to see what you think.

Depending on the content of your video, perhaps 720p HD quality is acceptable? Since there are less pixels per frame to encode (compress), you will be able to use a lower date rate than with 1080p and still keep the quality up.

Using VBR 2-Pass encoding will maximize the efficiency of the encoding.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Lauren Kaiser
on Nov 6, 2017 at 4:15:43 pm

Thank you Jeff! This was tremendously helpful. If you don't mind I do have one follow up question. When changing/reducing the bit rate should I change both the target bitrate and the maximum bitrate to the same number?

Thanks,

Lauren

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 2, 2017 at 9:34:03 pm

[Shane Ross] "I guess you haven't seen the 10 hour loops on YouTube of things like Nyan cat or other inane songs. Or the fireplace that goes for 16 hours."

You're right -- I haven't, and for that I am very glad.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 6, 2017 at 5:10:44 pm

The MAX bitrate would normally be set a bit higher than the TARGET. The term target in this case means average. Having a higher max bitrate helps when there might be sudden changes in the video content which might spike the data rate.

For instance one might use Target 8, Max 10.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Lauren Kaiser
on Nov 6, 2017 at 6:03:01 pm

Again, very helpful! Thank you so much.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]