FORUMS: list search recent posts

export sidecar? (text without media)

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
export sidecar? (text without media)
on Oct 31, 2017 at 12:16:07 am

I'm trying to selectively export default and custom metadata or columns for select clips with in Premiere. It seems there are limits to the columns one can export with batchlist. However I've seen instructions for exporting a sidecar file that would just be text (and not exporting the actual media). I'm using Premiere 7.2 and I don't see the buttons or options this person indicated.

The instructions say go to export media I don't see a "media button" or a Metadata Export dialog, dialogue for this option. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Paul

1. Select clip in PPro's Project panel
2. File>Export>Media
3. in the Export Settings dialog, click the Media button
4. in the Metadata Export dialog, set Export Option to Create Sidecar Fiie.
5. In the Output File Metadata section, select the properties in your custom schema that you want to include (and deselect any others that you don't want)
6. Click Okay to close Metadata Export and proceed to encode.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: export sidecar? (text without media)
on Nov 2, 2017 at 12:42:27 pm

[Paul Dougherty] "3. in the Export Settings dialog, click the Media button"

This is a typo. It should say Metadata button. (bottom, left of Queue)
But, you still need to encode the clip to 'something' afaik. (Then there will be a newclip.mov.xmp file next to newclip.mov)

If you don't want any encode , I can write a small util that will copy the XMP metadata from clips.
(I'm currently working on an app to get database info into XMP inside QT clips for a large show over here.)

Mind you, you cannot alter the sidecar and expect Premiere to read it. Premiere only uses these sidecar files for file types that don't support XMP. (MXF Op1a being one of them.)

hth,

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Nov 2, 2017 at 2:52:34 pm

Thanks Bouke,

My goal is to get the clips text columns (default & custom) into Excel. As one fellow Avid person put it "In the Avid you simply Output your Bin to a Tab Delimited File and you're off to the races." This is what I'm trying to do, but batch list export only seems to result in a few columns.

Paul

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Nov 3, 2017 at 9:36:18 am

Well, it's fairly easy to get the metadata out using Exif tool.
But then you have a XMP file per clip, that is very similar to XML

Again, if you want me to write something, let me know.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Nov 5, 2017 at 10:53:13 pm

Thanks Bouke,

I meant to do it last week but I'm going to call Adobe first thing tomorrow just to confirm there is no simple way to simply output selected columns & output as a tab delineated file. If this is not possible without exporting actual media, which is my understanding from your post, then yes I would love a utility that does this. And wondering what it would cost and when I could get my hands on it?

Thanks!

Paul

p.s. I've never used Exif tool but will try it tonight.

Don't think it's good for camera directories but I want to test Mediainfo in batch mode which I think requires some command line work

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Nov 6, 2017 at 1:24:01 pm

I should add that part of the reason I'm focused on premier exports is because I would like to get the custom fields such as description, log note, etc. that editors create about clips. So even though I'm still interested in the more generic metadata about the source files, I really like to have the two above buckets in one package.

Paul

p.s. I did not get to Exiftool but for the non-Premiere clip data, it seems there is a python script that does exactly what I want using MediaInfo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]