FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 30p to 25p. Adobe Media Encoder (cc2014) vs Twixtor?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robert pittman
Converting 30p to 25p. Adobe Media Encoder (cc2014) vs Twixtor?
on Oct 26, 2017 at 4:58:32 pm

Hello Everyone,

Many thanks in advance to anyone reading this. I am new to Adobe Premiere CC 2014. (Have used FCP7 for years.).

I have HD footage that I shot on a Canon EOS5D mark2 in both 25p and 30p, about 50% of each. As the project is for Europe I want to make it be 25p. I am trying to figure out the best way to convert the footage from 30p to 25p. This is a short documentary with interviews and also B-roll. I have tried the following:

1. Just drop the 30p footage in the 25p timeline. Frames are skipped as expected and the footage looks jerky.

2. Modify-Interpret footage. This is smooth but the audio is slow and the pitch and voice change.

3. Use Adobe Media Encoder to convert from 30p to 25p. But I think it also just skips frames and is no better than dropping the footage on the timeline. (I have turned frame blending off as it makes a ghost image.)
I had hoped that Media Encoder would solve the problem - am I doing something wrong??

4. If I spend $330 I could buy twixtor, but I am not sure if it is better.

Any ideas??

Thank you very much in advance for any ideas!!

Best regards to all,
Robert

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Converting 30p to 25p. Adobe Media Encoder (cc2014) vs Twixtor?
on Oct 27, 2017 at 8:26:18 am

Ame optical flow looks better than twixtor imho.

Return to posts index

robert pittman
on Oct 27, 2017 at 7:15:14 pm

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply! The problem with Adobe Media Encoder is that it still drops frame when it does the conversion and thus the motion looks jerky. So it does not seem to do anything more or differently, from just dropping the 30p clip onto the 25p timeline. But maybe I am doing something wrongly with Media Encoder?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 28, 2017 at 6:38:25 am

if you right click the clip, what is your frame blending set to? when I do optical, it looks really smooth. when i did a 30p to 60p last week it was perfect. no jerky or artifacts.

Return to posts index

robert pittman
on Oct 28, 2017 at 10:46:20 am

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. I assume you mean to right click on the clip in the timeline? I have Premiere CC 2014 and I don't think this has optical flow yet. As I have OS10.8 on my mac I am limited to the 2014 version. The other thing I can do is do the project on FCP7, but I don't know if it will do it any better. I am attaching a screenshot where you can see the menu and also the ghosting in the image when I use frame blending (which I assume is without optical flow).

Thank you for your help!

Best,
Robert

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 28, 2017 at 11:04:07 am

it started with cc 2015. you can update in the cloud.

Return to posts index

robert pittman
on Oct 28, 2017 at 11:14:06 am

Thanks. The problem is that cc2015 is not compatible with my operating system :-(.

Do you happen to know if FCP7 - Compressor is any better at this?
- -

For Premiere I could get twixtor for my operating system. I find it complicated and laborious to use but it might be the solution.

Or I got to a broadcast video conversion type of company and have them do it with hardware.

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Oct 28, 2017 at 12:20:42 pm

Did a project a few years ago that involved a lot of 30p - 25p conversion but I can't remember which way I was converting.

Slow but good quality: Compressor
Fast but ok (and free) MPEG Streamclip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]