FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink 4K Pro and GPU Interaction?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Doenges
Decklink 4K Pro and GPU Interaction?
on Oct 23, 2017 at 8:57:23 pm

Hey guys,

Looking into upgrading our editing rig and had some questions. We purchased a Decklink 4K Pro for real time playback, but unfortunately our motherboard no longer had room for our GPU, a gtx1070. I've been working without a dedicated GPU... which sucks. If we upgrade our rig so it can hold both cards, how does Adobe handle using both of them at once? Can this cause any problems?

My understanding is that the video is processed through the CPU/GPU and then sent to the playback card, and there wouldn't be any issues. Although, truthfully I do not understand what the playback card is accomplishing that the built in Adobe DV playback over HDMI would already do. Any and all advice is very appreciated!

Return to posts index

andy patterson
Re: Decklink 4K Pro and GPU Interaction?
on Oct 24, 2017 at 3:24:42 am

The CPU handles the decoding of the video file and the GPU handles most of the effects. The Intensity Pro 4K is more or less for broadcast compliant hardware. I love my Shuttle but you might not need one. Having said that Premiere Pro simply outputs to the 3rd party hardware with no loss in real-time performance. If you edit interlaced video it is good to use 3rd party hardware. Interlaced video never looks good on a computer screen. The Adobe DV setting for output is for using a IEEE Fire Wire converter. I hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 24, 2017 at 7:02:42 am

[Aaron Doenges] "If we upgrade our rig so it can hold both cards, how does Adobe handle using both of them at once? Can this cause any problems?"

Most computers have both at the same time, and they work fine. They perform completely different tasks, so they don't interfere with one another.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 24, 2017 at 7:22:25 am

[Aaron Doenges] "Although, truthfully I do not understand what the playback card is accomplishing that the built in Adobe DV playback over HDMI would already do."

It is outputting an uncompressed signal straight from the program that isn't affected by the OS or GPU color settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]