FORUMS: list search recent posts

Complex Interview Project: AVID vs Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enno Jacobsen
Complex Interview Project: AVID vs Premiere
on Oct 19, 2017 at 4:57:30 pm

I need some guidance from experienced editors on a basic question before starting a big editing project. Over the course of 4 days we shot 8 hours of interview footage on 4 cameras, all with the same two people in frame, in the same light setting. This footage of the conversation now has to be sorted into different topics and then culled down to about 90 minutes.

Between the multiple cameras, it's a lot of material to wrangle and sort through (30+ hours).

Which of the two platforms allows for the best organizational tools during the edit and proxy workflows that doesn't get screwed up during the conform of the final edit to the UHD we shot it in?

1 • Which of the two, Avid and Premiere, is best suited for a proxy workflow that allows subclips?
2 • Which of the two, Avid and Premiere, allows for best practices to sort and structure my material?
3 • Which of the two, Avid and Premiere, lets me work with markers and some sort of clip/timeline metadata in the process?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Complex Interview Project: AVID vs Premiere
on Oct 19, 2017 at 5:12:19 pm

On these points, there's pretty much no difference. It's really a matter of personal preference. What camera type and format is the original media?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

greg janza
on Oct 19, 2017 at 9:25:11 pm

I'll second Oliver's thought and add that with that much material you could streamline the entire edit process by transcribing all of the material shot (with timecode notation) and then do paper cuts prior to starting in either Avid or Premiere.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

Enno Jacobsen
on Oct 21, 2017 at 8:01:38 pm

Blackmagic Production 4K, Prores 422.
About 8TB of material.

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Oct 19, 2017 at 8:51:04 pm

Have you thought about DR 14?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 19, 2017 at 10:49:22 pm

[andy patterson] "Have you thought about DR 14?"

Do you really feel like it's ready for this size of a project?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 20, 2017 at 1:05:00 am

I concur...DR 14 is not really what I'd use on a project of this scale

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

andy patterson
on Oct 20, 2017 at 1:05:04 am

[Oliver Peters] "[andy patterson] "Have you thought about DR 14?"

Do you really feel like it's ready for this size of a project?"

[Enno Jacobsen] "1 • Which of the two, Avid and Premiere, is best suited for a proxy workflow that allows subclips?
2 • Which of the two, Avid and Premiere, allows for best practices to sort and structure my material?
3 • Which of the two, Avid and Premiere, lets me work with markers and some sort of clip/timeline metadata in the process?"

He mentioned best practice for sorting, subclips and makers. You can watch the video below to see what BMD has done in regards to what the original poster is asking about. That and the implementation Fairlight is awesome to me. Premiere Pro, Avid and FCPX will all work. I am not saying DR 14 is the best option for everyone. I do like some features of DR 14 better than Premiere Pro. I had the beta. It worked well. A few minor bugs but that can be said of Avid, FCPX and Premiere Pro. I no longer have DR 14 on my system. I am still on the cloud so I use Premiere Pro. I will wait until NAB 2018 to decide to jump ship. Adobe should be able to implement Audition into Premiere Pro like BMD implemented Fairlight into DR 14 but we will have to wait and see. I imagine I will be using it after NAB 2018 but who knows for sure? It will be awesome if BMD releases a grapics/photo program at NAB 2018. One other reason I did not make the jump to DR is I think you stated DR only works with BMD hardware. That is a bummer. I like my Intensity Shuttle and doubt I will be buying anything from AJA or Matrox. I might be OK for me to to install DR 14 again. Having sad that hardware support might be a deciding factor for some.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 20, 2017 at 12:01:36 pm

I was more concerned about the robustness and organizing ability with large projects.

Oliver

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 20, 2017 at 1:02:47 pm

I like that Resolve has editing features for dealing with online conform changes/issues but personally I wouldn't actually edit anything on it.

Return to posts index

Enno Jacobsen
on Oct 21, 2017 at 8:12:04 pm

Resolve is very interesting, and I'm following it with great curiosity, but for this particular project I'd like to stay in either Premiere or Avid.

Avid, and to a certain extend Premiere as well, have an established workflow in the industry. If you're handing parts of the project off to others (audio mix or effects for example), chances are that Avid and Premiere are the easier formats to pass on than Resolve.

I'd be many interested in comparing the two, Avid and Premiere.

Return to posts index

Brian Seegmiller
on Oct 23, 2017 at 1:36:37 am

1. FCP X, No need to use proxy for ProRes 422.
2. FCP X, Using ranged based key words and smart collections will help you organize your footage fast.
3. FCP X, What kind of clip metadata are we talking about?

Disclaimer, I have not used AVID. But, I have used PP and for me FCP X with its ranged based key wording, organizing footage is faster and much better than PP.

Is this a multi camera shoot where all four cameras are on the interviewees?
Did you record audio separately?

FCP X is a top notch multi camera editor.

You can certainly do this in PP or AVID, but I would choose FCP X.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Oct 23, 2017 at 6:32:31 am

[Brian Seegmiller] "1. FCP X, No need to use proxy for ProRes 422."

Well you don't absolutely have to use proxies with the other NLEs too but Avid has a pretty solid workflow for those. Premiere now has a built in proxy generator that's pretty good as well.

Also the OP didn't specify an OS so FCP X might not be a contender if it's on Windows.

Return to posts index

Enno Jacobsen
on Oct 30, 2017 at 7:04:24 pm

I'm on a Mac system (actually a PC/Hackintosh with OS X running on it). Having said that, I'd be still more interested in PP vs. Avid, and not FCPX vs. The Rest Of The World. ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]