FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project File Size Limit?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Merklein
Project File Size Limit?
on Oct 16, 2017 at 3:21:51 pm

Is there a project file size limit in Premiere Pro? I have a project that's about 6 megs, and I'm not sure if there is a point when Premiere Pro starts to shudder. 6 megs isn't tat big, but ya never know.

Thanks much

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Project File Size Limit?
on Oct 16, 2017 at 5:08:51 pm

I don't know of any project file size limit. I wouldn't put an entire feature-length cut in a single file, but that's because I don't like having a single point of failure.

It's more likely that the type of footage and the complexity of the edit timeline will make PP choke.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 16, 2017 at 5:26:41 pm

I worked (took over) a feature length doc cut on Premiere. The project file got up to 260MB. Main issue was it took 10 min to load and settle down for me to start editing.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ann Foo
on Oct 16, 2017 at 9:05:42 pm

Have cut 2 feature length films on Premiere (one on 2015 and one on 2017) and the project files never got bigger than 20mb. Also, projects loaded up in a flash, no lag at all. Not sure what I was doing differently but I have heard others report the same problem of large project files. There must be a way around it considering I'm not having that problem.
I cut my films on a 2015 macbook pro with h.264 proxys. They were both quite complex edits with a high shooting ratio.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 16, 2017 at 9:31:39 pm

Well, what I was cutting was a documentary with about 300 or so hours of footage, and while the shot footage was converted to proxies, none of the stock footage as. We also had it accessing about 300GB of music and SFX, which is a LOT of media.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ann Foo
on Oct 16, 2017 at 10:37:03 pm

Yep, but I still think that the ridiculous file size of your project is a completely seperate matter, because I've heard other editors talk about the same issue (although I've not paid attention to it because I haven't come accross it). Apparently there are youtube tutorials out there explaining the issue if you want to research it, and a program that shrinks your project file if you need it.

Sure, my feature drama films would have been much more standardised than you doco project, as it would have been a lot less media and all proxied to a standard format. But no matter how complicated your doco was, it still wouldn't justify any project file being so large.... a project file is just a key to media and never has to be that large, so it still indicates something else is going on here, like other media (render files?) is being embedded in the project file? Anyway, it's a known problem so I'm sure the explanation is out there.

Return to posts index

Eric Merklein
on Oct 17, 2017 at 6:35:59 pm

Well it looks like I'm far from getting a file size for a long form doc or feature.

I agree with Dave's comment that Pro can choke depending on what's on the screen.

Having left the big city and ensconced at a great college, I'm working with heavy data analytics
and it's math results. The 1080 screen gets heavy busy with what looks like Excel on massive steroids, motion all the time too.

I find that I have to nest, and render twice before exporting, or it fails. Encoder becomes useless, "Normal" video works just fine.

Thanks to all for responding.

E

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Oct 18, 2017 at 4:15:40 pm

One thing that can greatly increase the size is using warp stabilizer.
Must be storing some of that data in the project file.

It used to grow project files to immense and almost unstable sizes.
I know Adobe addressed that issue so it took up less room, but
if you are stabilizing a lot of shots, that could be contributing to
the size.

Return to posts index

Kulpreet Singh
on Oct 18, 2017 at 12:14:44 pm

There is no limit for the project file size.

-K

Return to posts index

Peter Garaway
on Oct 21, 2017 at 7:34:56 pm

Hi All,

There was additional work with the latest PPro release to reduce project opening time. There is no project file size limit. There are a few things that can cause the project size to increase, Warp Stabilizer, Mask tracking, and Master clip LUTs.

Peter Garaway
Adobe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]