FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere is using more RAM than I have on my system

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Busse
Premiere is using more RAM than I have on my system
on Oct 14, 2017 at 8:23:45 pm

This is a strange problem to me because after working on this computer for a few years with its primary use being to edit similar projects (GoPro footage)with no similar issues, all of a sudden Premiere just started wigging out on me for this specific project.

I'll be editing a fairly simple project and according to the Activity Monitor Premiere Pro is using 40-60GB of RAM(I only allocated 11 GB of the 16 GB on my system for Premiere) and then Premiere will freeze on me. Sometimes it will just go straight to the Beach Ball of death and other times it will say that I'm using too much memory/RAM and give me the option to "Resume" in the Force Quit Menu. 

The project I am editing is all GoPro Hero 3+ Black footage, most of GoPro footage is 2.7k 29.97, I'm editing on an HD 23.976 timeline, and using a few mp3s for audio. I’m working off of an external 1 TB USB 3.0 2.5” disk.

This problem appears to be specific to this project as I am able to edit a different Premiere Pro project that is stored on the same external drive that also uses a similar amount of GoPro footage and I have no RAM problems with that project.

The only thing that I can think of that may have led to something in the project becoming corrupted is that I filled up my internal hard drive to the point that I had less than 1 GB of disk space left. I then deleted ~90GB of stuff from my internal hard drive. The problem started occurring around the same time.

I have tried the following to troubleshoot this:
-Switched from Open CL to Software Only
-Deleted Cache Files
-Started a new project and imported a sequence
-Switched RAM preference from Optimized for Performance to Optimized for Memory

-Deleting Lumetri Color Filters from sequence

System:

OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Premiere 2017.1.2

Video Producer/Editor
http://cidesigninc.com/

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Premiere is using more RAM than I have on my system
on Oct 15, 2017 at 3:46:02 pm

You have to have 10% free space on ALL hard drives, period, end of story. Computers use hard drives to write temp files when there’s not enough RAM to handle various file caching chores, and you’re not letting that happen.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

David Busse
Re: Premiere is using more RAM than I have on my system
on Oct 15, 2017 at 8:27:12 pm

Thanks! Good to know.

In this case, the problem is still happening even though ~20% of my startup disk space is free. I also did all troubleshooting after clearing space off of my disk.

Video Producer/Editor
http://cidesigninc.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]