FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nx5 SD video shooting MPEG2

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
Nx5 SD video shooting MPEG2
on Dec 17, 2011 at 6:27:55 am

I appears that the NX5 only shoots SD video at MPEG-2 which I feel (cannot confirm as I don't have the camera yet) will not mix well with my other DV material in terms of quality. If shoot at 720 or 1080 what would be the recommended frame rate that will look great when down converted to SD?

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Nx5 SD video shooting MPEG2
on Dec 17, 2011 at 3:54:48 pm

You are right, the SD is in MPEG.

It looks the same as avi from other cameras, there is no quality difference. There are always differences when you mix video from different cameras, so there will always be a little difference, which can be adjusted in the editor. Things like tint, or gamma.

Since SD is only defined as 29.997 frames per second in the United States, (also called 60i) that would be the otpimum to shoot at in HD.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Dec 17, 2011 at 8:52:55 pm

IN my experience, unless the algorithm is quite complex MPEG looks like crap. Add to that the low bit-rate of only 9mbps - how can you say it looks likeDV

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Dec 17, 2011 at 8:53:26 pm

So something like 108060i?

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Dec 17, 2011 at 5:29:55 pm

I'll add my two cents here...

From my experience and research, IF YOU ARE EDITING WITH FINAL CUT PRO DO NOT SHOOT SD WITH THESE CAMERAS.

I can't explain the exact details, but FCP does not like the SD files the NX5U creates. I learned this only AFTER shooting 4 weddings in SD mode with the NX5Us and it took a lot extra time in post and DVD creation to try to make the footage acceptable. The interlacing is horendous and for some reason the export is not exactly 720x480. It gets compressed vertically a little. I can't explain it and I don't know why, just take my word for it.

If you have any other questions about it post back and I will do my best to help. If you're not using FCP then I don't think you need to worry about it.

Hope that helps avoid some headaches!
Eric

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Dec 18, 2011 at 8:01:38 am

Unless you are editing with FCP, the MPEG2 SD looks great. As for bit rate, 8Mbs is the DVD bit rate for HQ DVD's so if your final output is to DVD, this format/bit rate should NOT be an issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]