FORUMS: list search recent posts

NX70 Steady Shot "Active"

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad White
NX70 Steady Shot "Active"
on Nov 26, 2011 at 12:44:48 am

The NX70 has a 10X zoom with or without "steady shot" selected. When "steady shot ACTIVE" is selected, the zoom becomes 14X. Is there a compromise to operating in this mode? Like loss of quality or similar?
Brad

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
Re: NX70 Steady Shot "Active"
on Dec 7, 2011 at 10:45:41 pm

I just sent back my second NX70 for a refund. I really wanted to like that camera!

Active steady-shot does not per-se harm anything, because the sensor on those cams is a high-pixel count 1/2.88". So, when Active SS is engaged, the electronics uses a portion of the sensor area (still 1920x1080 but smaller than the overall sensor) to allow the image to electronically "float". When Active SS is engaged, as you move the camera, the image will float around some, but that never bothered me. You still get full 1920x1080 resolution. And, in Sony PMB, if you do a frame-grab, the JPG will be larger than 1920x1080, which is nice.

The NX70 is based on the CX700V engine and optics. Problem is, aside from the 60p and 24p modes (and the soon to be released 30p mode), the camera has inferior steady-shot and optics than the good old CX550V.

Sony has major QC problems with the NX70. It broke my heart.

Some samples of the problems are here:
http://www.huecotanks.com/temp1

I will provide more details later on the Active Steady Shot.

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400, MultiTB SATA, 8GB RAM Vegas 10e x64 DVDA 5.2(build 133) Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]