FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony FS-100 clips getting corrupted on SD card

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Hertz
Sony FS-100 clips getting corrupted on SD card
on Nov 18, 2011 at 4:13:41 pm

We have a crew in the field filming with two NEX-FS100 cameras. We've had multiple instances on this trip where, when we review footage at the end of the day, we have clips that don't have a thumbnail image and the camera cannot play them back. In some cases its just a clip or two on the SD card and in another it sounds like its over half the cards worth of clips. I'm hoping when they return from the field next week I am able to somehow repair the files. Is anyone else having this issue? Any thoughts on where I should look to fix the problem? In each case it's happened with different SD cards. On this trip it sounds like its always happening on the same camera. I'll have much more information when they return next week and can look at the clips and camera myself. Just curious if others have seen it and already have a solution.

UPDATE: Here's a bit of additional information I just received from the operators in the field - the SD cards being used are Transcend Class 10 cards - these should be plenty fast and we've been using them successfully since receiving the cameras in July. The error from today shows the image thumbnails but when you try to select a clip and play it the camera says "No Image". Also, some clips that DO play in the camera will "skip" when playing. This skipping during playback is happening on both FS100 cameras - although the corrupt clips seem to be confined to only one camera so far. They have performed a database repair in the camera but that did not help.

Filming is being done outdoors in weather ranging from 20-40 degrees F. Could there be an issue in colder weather with the camera's writing and playing back data from the SD cards?

Don Hertz
AC Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
Re: Sony FS-100 clips getting corrupted on SD card
on Nov 24, 2011 at 7:05:25 am

This is an interesting situation. I would certainly try new cards. What record settings are you using?
Test other settings too. Have they copied the files to a computer and tested? This would show if it's a Cam playback problem or a file problem.

Looking forward to more info and updates.

Return to posts index

Don Hertz
on Dec 2, 2011 at 9:59:18 pm

Sean - as a back up we purchased the Sony flash modules for each camera. This allows us to record to both the flash module and SD card simultaneously so that we'll always have a back up moving forward in the case that files start getting corrupted again. We haven't been able to determine the exact cause of the problems yet. We've been using both cameras for the past week with the flash modules and haven't experienced any issues - although our shoots were shorter and not in as cold of a temperature. As a test we also formatted the offending SD cards from before and shot directly to those same cards for almost an hour with clips of various lengths - also no issues. So at this point I'm not sure what happened. We've implemented a backup strategy with the Sony flash modules and will keep checking to see if the problem re-occurs. I'll let you know if we find out anything new.

Don Hertz
AC Media Inc.

Return to posts index

Paul Powers
on Dec 3, 2011 at 12:32:59 am

I have been using the FS 100 since October and have had no trouble until today. This morning I went out pre-dawn to film the sun rising over Mt. Bachelor in Bend OR. Temperature was in the teens. I was very excited about the shot because it was my first real time lapse (besides practice shots) and it turned out great. I previewed it in the camera and it worked just like I wanted it to.

Tonight I went to use log and transfer and there is no information there according to FCP. I hope to fix this problem as we have 3 full day shoots in the mountains with talent next week and need to know I can trust this thing.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation...." Don't be one of them.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Dec 3, 2011 at 2:11:51 am

Hold on - no info according to FCP? Who cares what FCP says - what does the camera say?

I had the same issue when I shot at 60P for the first time. Scared the crap out of me when I went to FCP L&T and there was nothing there.

Went to the camera and all was fine. That's when I realized that FCP does not see 60P.

So.... what was your frame rate and more inportantly - does the camera recognize your shots?

I can't imaging that all the shots just disappeared. Please keep us posted.

Return to posts index

Paul Powers
on Dec 3, 2011 at 2:59:32 am

I did film in 60p or 60i.... I don't remember which.... On that particular shot I used slow and quick mode and set the frame rate to 4fps... I had the shutter speed at 4 (cause it was dark) and the aperture was all the way open. My gain was set to 12db.

I am transferring all the footage to my Hard Drive and trying to convert from there. Maybe it will work.

However, I just read that the manual says to operate the camera between 32-104 degrees Fahrenheit.

Sean, if you can't capture in FCP what do you do? I don't have premiere. ( I don't mean to hijack this post but hopefully this will help the original poster as well.)

Thanks...

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Dec 3, 2011 at 7:07:03 pm

No problem, don't worry.

The only issue is that FCP 7's Log & Trans does not recognize 60p and probably the slo-mo stuff on the card or card image on the HD.

All you need to do is convert the 60p footage to a format that FCP does recognize and IMPORT FILE.

I use clip wrap to turn the .MTS file to .MOV (QuickTime). I then use Cinema Tools to conform to 24p or 30p for amazing slo-mo.

I'm not sure if there is any need to edit a 60p time line, but that's up to you.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Paul Powers
on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:12:00 am

Don, I did get my footage to work. It wasn't an issue of the cold.... it was the 60p.

I bought brosoft mts converter and it came through swimmingly. Hope you find out what's wrong with your card.

Return to posts index

Jan Bateau
on May 10, 2013 at 11:49:46 am

Any time there is a chance that H2o can be a part of camera transitions (from cold to warm); condensation and electrical contacts to sensitive electronic memory need to be to be suspect if micro voltage variables could play across the contacts of SD card media. Dehumidification maybe be needed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]