FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buffer Overload on new camera

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dina Moeller
Buffer Overload on new camera
on Nov 3, 2011 at 3:47:45 pm

I had a "Buffer Overoad" issue yesterday about 1:11 hours into shooting. I lost the 8 minute clip on the Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB card , but it was captured on to the FMU-128. It was the second time of using the camera and the card. I was shooting in (FX)30p and HD mode to both the card and the FMU-128.

The footage also seemed a little soft. I had the focus on manual- after zooming in and focusing in auto. I had (2) tota lights and a Rifa soft light. Gain/Iris/shutter on manual. PP2 selected. It was indoors of a talking head- just an interview.

After talking to Sony, B&H Photo and reading online, I can't seem to get a straight answer as to whether this is a card or a camera issue. There are many discussions online about this issue a year or so ago, and Sony issued a new firmware update. But my camera's serial number indicates it was made after the cameras that needed the update. B&H is willing to exchange the camera.

Not sure what to do. Extremely disappointed to have spent almost $5000 on kit and kaboodle to have issues on day 2.

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
Re: Buffer Overload on new camera
on Nov 3, 2011 at 7:04:34 pm

Don't really have an answer that you have not probably already thought of, but I know it is lonely in these forums sometimes and I feel your pain, having just sunk $2.8K into an NX70 that I might have to return.

Try another card - I like Kingston. Cheap, you will need more cards anyway.

I assume you have the HXR-NX5U? (Nice cam! I wanted one but can't afford it.)

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400 MultiTB SATA 8 GB RAM Vegas 10e x64 DVDA 5.2 Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index

Dina Moeller
on Nov 6, 2011 at 4:49:26 pm

I returned it to B&H. I'm getting the Panasonic HPX170. I haven't gotten a straight answer on whether it's the card or the Camera. But all I know, is that on Day two of use, and I'm already losing footage?? I don't think so. I'm going to spend the money and get P2 cards and a better peace of mind.

The camera is a beauty and has lots of bells and whistles. I just need to know it'll actually work and not stop shoots.

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Nov 30, 2011 at 8:43:03 pm

Couple of things. First, did you format the new card when putting it in the camera or did you just put it in and start shooting? The FMU128 is preformatted for the NX5 but all cards must be formatted first. Also, if the card had been used in a different camera prior to being used in the NX5, you must perform a MEDIA EMPTY of the card. It's in the user manual. Finally, what class card is it? Sony claims you can use class 6. However, I've had issues with class 6 cards but have had no issues with class 10 and class UI cards. I'm 99% sure it's a problem with the card and not the camera. One last thing, NX5's are amazing cameras but doing require regular maintenance, such as MEDIA EMPTY and formatting of cards to work properly and that is something you don't have to do with other brand/model cameras.

Sad to here you exchanged the NX5 for a HPX170. That was certainly a BIG step backwards.

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Dec 17, 2011 at 6:31:36 am

NOt with all that back focus BS

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Nov 30, 2011 at 9:04:32 pm

I think Michael covered the issue you had with recording pretty well. It is in the manual. I've had two NX5's for some time now, recorded many hours on both class 6 & 10 SD cards without a hitch.

As to the focus being soft, these cameras do have a back focus problem. As you said, you zoomed in, focused and zoomed out. That's the problem, it doesn't hold your focus. You have to focus "where you are", the peaking feature helps.

Sad to hear you returned the camera.

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
on Dec 7, 2011 at 10:38:26 pm

Now that I returned the second NX70 I tried (for problems with lack of sharp focus across the entire image), I have been looking at the NX5. But any amount of back-focus problem would drive me crazy. I had hoped it was a flaw with earlier models.

Surely back-focus can be adjusted at the factory?

How do you stand it?

Thanks,

Steve

PS here are some frame grabs of the NX70 problems. Look at the NX70city1.jpg for the reason I sent back NX70 #2.
http://www.huecotanks.com/temp1

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400, MultiTB SATA, 8GB RAM Vegas 10e x64 DVDA 5.2(build 133) Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Dec 11, 2011 at 5:55:38 am

The back focus issue is not just with earlier cameras as Sony claims. I got mine in April 2011 and it's slightly off. Never returned it because I learned how to easily compensate and the LCD is pretty darn good so focus is never really an issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]