FORUMS: list search recent posts

NXCAM NX5U and FCP 7 L&T keeps crashing

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Wise
NXCAM NX5U and FCP 7 L&T keeps crashing
on Oct 26, 2011 at 10:31:50 pm

I just got a NX5U camera mainly for SDI out and to record without the use of tapes. I have two other Sony cameras, a Z7U and a Z1U with CF recorder. Do not have any problems with those two cameras. The NX5 is another story however. I cannot for the life of me get the L&T to work with the FM128 or the SD cards. Final Cut crashes every time. I have read that everyone should be on FCP 7.0.3, which solves everything. Well, I am on FCP 7.0.3 and L&T does not work. The nature of my shooting is a lot of lectures and discussions that can go from 45 minutes to 2 hours at times with no stopping. The ingesting will take forever. I thought the whole point of moving away from tape is the faster than normal transfer. Could someone please help. Thanks.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: NXCAM NX5U and FCP 7 L&T keeps crashing
on Oct 26, 2011 at 11:38:50 pm

I shoot with NX5's and use FCP 7.0.3 L&T with no problems. So, we should be able to get you up and running as well.

1- What OS are you running?

2- Have you ever used L&T with other cameras, done so trouble free?

3- Did you first copy the "Private folder" from your FMU 128/SD Card to your Mac, or are you trying to L&T right off the FMU 128/SD Card? You should L&T from an HDD, not directly off the FMU 128/SD Card.

4- Trash Prefs?

5- Eject any other folders from the L&T window before opening the one you want to transfer.

I'm guessing that #3 is your answer, I hope you get it working properly.

Return to posts index

Gordon Gurley
on Oct 27, 2011 at 6:15:15 am

We have had similar problems of L+T crashing FCP703 on long clips. Very frustrated with Sony that they would release this under the Pro brand without pro support. From my research and experience, Panasonic AVCHD does not have similar problems.

Sony does have an update to the plugin that allows Sony avchd L&T. You have to call Sony support to get it. We still had problems after the update, but seemed to fix some things. Best fix is to adjust FCP memory settings:
Is working better for us. Still have occasional crashes and errors in L&T, but much less. Still not acceptable for a Pro product.

Gordon

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:49:08 pm

Are you seeing this only with long files? We've seen these crashes a number of times but in our experience it happens only when FCP 6/7 transcodes spanned AVCHD clips into large ProRes files. We can get it to happen by doing any AVCHD transcode that creates files over 70-80 GB. If we look at the logs afterwards it seems that FCP is running out of memory in the process of creating the large ProRes files. I can't say this conclusively but the pattern is there. If you find it happening with long spanned clips (segmented 2 GB files that are linked into one logical clip) try sub clipping them and importing them in smaller portions.

Return to posts index

Gordon Gurley
on Oct 27, 2011 at 4:57:09 pm

I agree that your last option is to log and transfer in smaller chunks. Seems to work when a single transfer crashes. Also, Clipwrap seems to be very solid, albeit slow.
Really, Sony needs to make a stand alone app for the Mac like they do for XDCAM. I'm sure getting the process out of FCP would fix these problems. XDCAM transfer is perfect.

Return to posts index

Ian Cook
on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:31:52 pm

ClipWrap is solid because it's rewrapping (or transcoding) and presenting FCP with everything it needs to decode the file. While I agree that it would be nice to have an XDCAM Transfer-style app for FCP, almost every instance I've seen involving crashes has occurred with long files points to memory allocation. While a Sony re-wrapper would be a nice amenity it would not address the (likely) underlying issue. I believe FCP10 has built in .mov re-wrapping for AVCHD and is also able to take advantage of more than 4 GB of memory.

Return to posts index

Gordon Gurley
on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:30:45 pm

My thought was that since FCP7 is so limited memory-wise, Sony could make their stand-alone app 64 bit, and hence be better with memory. I hope FCPX deals with memory better, and obviously it reduces the need for transcoding as much. But the need to transcode will still be there no matter what program you are using.

G

Gordon Gurley
Director of Operations
Stanford Video

Return to posts index

Gary Wise
on Oct 27, 2011 at 2:44:03 pm

David,

Thanks for the reply. I am running OS 10.6.8. I have used L&T for my Z7U and my Z1U with no problem. Now I have not tried what you proposed in number 3, and I will give that a shot. I just got this camera a couple of weeks ago and this is the first big shoot with it. I will also trash the prefs as well to clean up any fragged prefs. I will give #3 a shot. Thanks.

Gary

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Oct 28, 2011 at 2:31:18 am

I am now being forced to use FCP7 for a job. I have used just about every NLE out there and, by far, FCP ranks at the bottom with CS5 and Avid at the top. At least those two will accept various formats natively, unlike FCP. FCP is very limited in functionality and I consider it consumer level NLE software. I've had the same crash issue for long clips. I've resorted to loading cards onto my PC using the Sony content management software, then converting those clips to QuickTime using MPEG Streamclip, then transferring to a hard drive, and finally loading into FCP. It sucks and takes longer than ingesting tape. However, the blame doesn't fall on Sony, it's on Apple and FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]