FORUMS: list search recent posts

My Sony NX5U Settings

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Johnston
My Sony NX5U Settings
on Oct 20, 2011 at 3:51:25 am

Some people have been asking, in multiple threads, for the PICTURE PROFILE settings I use in my NX5U. Here is the profile I use for nearly all my shoots that are not cinematic. Great look but leaves room to make adjustments in post.

PICTURE PROFILE SETTINGS

BLACK LEVEL: master -4, r 0, g 0, b 0
GAMMA: ITU709
BLACK GAMMA: range middle, level 0
KNEE: auto 95% middle
COLOR MODE: ITU709 MATRIX, level 8
COLOR LEVEL: +3
COLOR PHASE: 0
COLOR DEPTH: all 0's
DETAIL: level +7, manual - v/h balance 0, b/w balance type 4, black limit 3, white limit 7, crispening 7, hi light detail +2
SKIN TONE DETAIL: Off

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
Re: My Sony NX5U Settings
on Oct 20, 2011 at 12:19:15 pm

Thanks for sharing Michael.

What have you noticed with these settings compared to factory default? Since I typically always edit my own shoots, I've gotten into the (perhaps bad) habit of shooting with the most basic default settings, then making all my adjustments in post. But on occassion I've seen other people's work that has a wonderful look to it, and when I ask what filters they used they say none, it's all camera settings!

Since I have 2 NX5Us I plan to do a side by side test of my settings compared to yours. I'll report back if/when I do it.

Thanks again, very kind of you.
Eric

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Oct 20, 2011 at 12:56:20 pm

These settings give you a higher contrast and saturation than factory default, which is very flat. The colors are more vibrant. You also get a much sharper image, which you can't do in post. You'll save yourself A LOT of post time by just setting your camera up to get the image you want instead of spending all that time FIXING it in post. I tweak my stuff in post to match any given look I'm going for but it's minimal compared to the work I'd have to do if I shot factory default. My settings for the NX5 also can be easily matched up to with other model cameras. I just did a shoot where I was able to slightly tweak the picture profile settings in an EX3 and it made both cameras look identical.

Return to posts index

Magnus Arvidsson
on Oct 12, 2014 at 10:30:12 am

Hi, Magnus here. New to this part of the forum universe. The first thing I'll do is to bump this thread.

I really would love some good advice about settings regarding the NX5.

1. Interview with one person
2. Sport shots

Basically anything and everything. :) I'dlove to see your settings for different types of shots.

Thanks!
/Magnus

Return to posts index

Ken Wilson
on Oct 21, 2011 at 7:57:21 pm

Thanks for sharing, Michael.

Return to posts index

Scott Morrison
on Oct 31, 2011 at 1:10:20 am

Thanks for the settings Michael. I applied them and cannot wait to see the results. But you didn't mention White Balance. Do you make any changes to this setting as well?

Cheers.

Scott Morrison
Just an amateur trying to learn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]