FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does anyone have an NX70?

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Tompkins
Does anyone have an NX70?
on Oct 1, 2011 at 10:37:18 pm

I read some bad reviews of the NX70 and many people complained about the zoom control or lack thereof. I borrowed one for a demo and guess what? The zoom sucks. It is as if it is broken. It is impossible to control the speed. It is always too fast and then when you zoom past your shot it does not always zoom back out. I have used alot of cameras over the years but this was by far the most frustrating. Have others had this experience. Please tell me I just have a bad camera.

Return to posts index

Brad White
Re: Does anyone have an NX70?
on Oct 15, 2011 at 3:03:07 am

Hi Bob,
Just noticed your post.
I have had my NX70 for about 3 months. For the few times I've used it so far, it has been tripod mounted with a remote control (LANC) that has a variable speed control feature. So I have not needed to use the cameras zoom rocker.
I tested the rocker on my NX70 and found it to be very sensitive. I also have an HVR-A1U which is the "tape" predecessor (more or less) to the NX70. I tested them side by side and found the A1U to be much less sensitive, more like what you are probably looking for. Both cams are 10X and the A1U has a different style zoom rocker, side to side rather than front to back. As I only shoot with a tripod & LANC combination, it doesn't bother me, but I can see where hand held would be a problem.
Maybe complaints to Sony will yield a software fix.
Brad White

Return to posts index

Brad White
on Oct 17, 2011 at 12:06:38 am

Hi Bob,

Further to my last post;
I did some additional testing of the zoom function using my Manfrotto 523PROi LANC controller. Although I said in my previous reply that I did not see a problem, I was using the slower zoom speed setting. If I set the controller to the fastest speed setting, I do see a problem similar to using the rocker switch. In addition, not only is it too sensitive, it is not smooth from start to finish of the zoom. In other words, there is a pronounced jerk (abrupt) start to the zoom. This does not happen in my HXR-A1U's.
I emailed Sony describing the problem and asking about a firmware fix. However, Sony has not shown to be very responsive in the past.
Brad

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
on Oct 22, 2011 at 4:09:43 am

Hi Brad;

I recently smashed my beloved Sony HDR-CX550V beyond repair. This cam is no longer available for purchase, but is pretty much identical to the MC50U, which is still available. I have received a check from my insurance company. I have had my eye on the HXR-NX70 for some time, but being an amateur on a budget I can barely afford it. This is my big chance to obtain it.

I was almost ready to buy it from Amazon, until I read some disturbing reports about problems with: the zoom rocker, autofocus, and optical stabilization being not nearly as good as the CX550V (i.e., the MC50U)

A Lanc controller might be a viable option until the rumored firmware fix comes out next year. But, here is my stupid question - where does the controller attach? I have heard of "lanc" before, some hand-holding would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps I could Velcro one to the cam near the rocker ... sorry if this seems silly.

Would also greatly appreciate your analysis of the reported poorer stabilization than the CX550V and the autofocus problems.

I really want to buy this cam ... but if I blow $3K on something that will not work for me, I will be devastated.

I have a bit of urgency in that I need to participate in a video shoot of the Youth Orchestra in which my daughter plays Cello - the shoot is at the end of October.

Thanks,

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400 MultiTB SATA 8 GB RAM Vegas 10e x64 DVDA 5.2

Return to posts index

Brad White
on Oct 24, 2011 at 10:12:19 pm

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the late response. I haven't logged into the forum recently.

I always use a LANC remote controller as I always shoot on a tripod. Not only does the remote put the control where it is more accessible, it eleiminates possible camera motion while you are zooming with the zoom control on the body of the camera. The LANC cable is a 2.5mm stereo mini that plugs into the "remote" jack on the camera. I have several and just order another called a Libec ZC-3DV. I don't have it yet, but all the reviews I've read are positive. It is resonably priced on-line at $89 (sale) at BH Photo Video. This is a "zoom" only controller and does not have "focus" capability as many other do. I would also recommend BH for your camera purchase http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Brad

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
on Oct 28, 2011 at 2:52:04 am

Brad, thanks for the tip about the Libec ZC-3DV. That unit is considerably cheaper than the Manfrotto 521i (or the successor MVR901ECPL Manfrotto RC Pan Bar EX Remote Control ).

I have ordered my NX70 - it is supposed to arrive on Nov 2. ASAP I will post test vids of the zoom rocker problem. I won't be able to wait very long before ordering a remote, so it would be very nice if you could post feedback on the Libec soon.

Thanks again,

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400 MultiTB SATA 8 GB RAM Vegas 10e x64 DVDA 5.2 Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
on Nov 3, 2011 at 6:44:29 pm

My NX70 arrived yesterday. Surprisingly, the zoom is OK for me - not sure if I have "fixed" unit or if I just have good motor control of my fingers. The only complaint is one has to push the rocker too far before it engages, so one has to "sneak up" on that engage point and be a bit delicate.

But, there are other HUGE and unexpected problems with the NX70. I might have to send it back and I REALLY wanted to keep it! I'm creating a new thread to describe the problem and ask for help.

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400 MultiTB SATA 8 GB RAM Vegas 10e x64 DVDA 5.2 Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index

Brad White
on Nov 3, 2011 at 8:25:24 pm

Hi Steve,

I received my Libec ZC-3DV remote controller and just had a chance to test it;

It performs as advertised with a smooth, variable speed zoom. The appearance and construction are both good. There is a switch that allows the controller to be used with Sony LANC as well as with Panasonic, not generally found on other controllers. The only thing that I find missing is an LED indicating "power on" and/or "recording". This is helpfull if you can not see the camera LCD screen, such as in a remote camera situtation. An LED on the controller would give positive feedback that when you pushed the "record" button the camera actually went into record mode.

Worth the investment however.
Brad

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
on Nov 3, 2011 at 10:44:24 pm

Thanks, Brad!

I really appreciate the response. Been feeling all alone with the problems I'm having with my new NX70U.

Could I please trouble you to check out this thread I started? I'm very worried; you are the only person I know with an NX70.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/298/861
Thanks,

Steve

Return to posts index

Brad White
on Nov 14, 2011 at 3:29:08 am

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment with the NX70.
Yesterday, I completed a six hour shoot at an indoor conference using my two NX70's. First impressions today were that the footage was very acceptable. Lighting varied from indirect sunlight through un-curtained windows, to fluorescent, to just ambient. Although I haven't reviewed all the clips or started editing, the video quality meets my expectations (so far). I have not experienced the problems you referred to (so far).
One problem did arise. The shotgun microphone clamp "broke off" while the camera was still in the camera bag. Short story is that the new shock mount design is poorly engineered. Two tiny screws go into two tiny plastic standoffs in the body of the XLR adapter, which holds everything together. This is the vibration damper and it is a very weak design. I will be contacting Sony next week but I can see this as being a continuing problem. More to come.
At the conference I met a fellow that was retired from Sony. He may turn out to be a valuable asset.
Good luck with your next "chapter".
Brad

Return to posts index

Stephen Crye
on Nov 10, 2011 at 7:20:56 pm

thanks Brad.

Sadly, my NX70 is driving me crazy - so many problems compared to my CX550V. More than just the zoom!

It is boxed and I will probably send it back. I'm bitterly disappointed. Here are two vids that show some of the problems:

and

I really wanted to love this camera. In bright light it is sort of OK - but the WB and autofocus still have problems even in perfect conditions. Lots of little annoyances, like no on-screen display of the length of the current recording, the horrible menu system compared to the CX550V, the need to remove the hood for night shot, and so many others. The beautiful 1080 60p just can't make up for the other problems.

Now I'm looking at the Canon XF100, but I hate the thought of jumping ship from Sony. All my video cams, and most of my still cams, have been Sony. I'm horribly conflicted.

Just last night I thought "let me try one more time", I went into my daughters room and shot some video of her playing cello. Sounded great, looked good in the viewfinder. Put it on the computer and it was unusable - auto-focus terrible hunting. It was the kind of shoot that could not have been done in manual focus, because I walked around her, changed the distance, etc. the 550V would have captured it perfectly.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]