FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVCHD Card Viewer

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Ingrassia
AVCHD Card Viewer
on Sep 26, 2011 at 1:21:58 pm

I'm looking for a way to view the contents of my NX5 footage without having to use Final Cut's Log and Transfer.

I downloaded the Panasonic AVCCAM Viewer app, but it only allows you to view files on the source card, or files backed up using the app itself. I need to be able to view card backups made using Finder (by copying the root of the card into a a new folder for each corresponding card).

VLC is good for opening the raw MTS files, but I'd like to be able to open an entire card to verify that my backup copied properly.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: AVCHD Card Viewer
on Sep 27, 2011 at 8:00:05 am

Use Apple's Disk Utility to save an image from the card and later mount that, the viewer will see it just like a card. Good way to write your backups anyway.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Tony Ingrassia
on Sep 27, 2011 at 11:41:43 am

I've tried Disk Utility, but I'm looking for a solution that works for Mac and PC. I know you can make ISO images on a PC, but I'm trying to get away from that method, it just doesn't quite fit my workflow.

Also, on the Mac, Ive been experimenting with Automator to streamline the backup process, and Disk Utility doesn't quite fit in that workflow.

Return to posts index

Gordon Gurley
on Oct 27, 2011 at 6:35:07 am

Shotput Pro? I haven't used it, but many like it.

Return to posts index

Thomas Dougherty
on Dec 2, 2011 at 5:29:40 pm

Tony have you found a solution yet? I have a new Sony NEX-VG10 and having issues with my old MacBook Pro FCP, doesn't like the AVCHD format. Just wondering if you figured out your workflow yet?

Return to posts index

Tony Ingrassia
on Dec 4, 2011 at 9:18:58 pm

Shotput Pro seems like a pretty good solution for backing up tapeless cards. They have a companion app called HD-VU which lets you view all the clips on a given card. However, it appears that it just shows you the raw MTS files, and doesn't necessarily need the whole directory structure like Final Cut does.

My problem is that I need a way for our field producers to not only backup their tapeless media (that they later send to me), but also verify that the backups copied perfectly. Again, looks like Shotput Pro would solve that.

For your issue of FCP not liking the AVCHD, are you having trouble just playing back the clips in Log and Transfer, or will not even convert them to ProRes?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]