FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony nxcam hxr nx5u shutts off on its own

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fahad Minhaj
Sony nxcam hxr nx5u shutts off on its own
on Sep 25, 2011 at 6:39:19 am

Hello,
I have a Sony nxcam hxr NX5U, today when I was shooting a live concert, the camera was keep turnning off. I thought my SD cards have errors which results in shutting the camera off. I changed the cards in fact I tried couple other cards but it was doing the same thing. Later, the phone was on stand by and after couple mins the camera turned off.

Any idea why its happening?

One more thing, my camera is on auto exposure and I can't turn it off, when i am zoom in, the f-stop goes from 1.6 to 4. I can't figure it out how to fix this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
Re: Sony nxcam hxr nx5u shutts off on its own
on Sep 26, 2011 at 2:13:25 pm

I'm not sure if I'll totally answer your questions here, but I hope it helps.

First of all the exposure - when you zoom in you loose some iris. Even in manual setting, as you zoom in the iris will close a bit (numbers go up from 1.6 to 4 as you noted). This is normal for any camera I believe. It's not a problem, so now that you know this you can plan your shots accordingly. If going to f4 makes it too dark then you'll simply have to zoom out a bit or move closer to the subject.

For the camera shutting off, memory cards would have been my first thought. What class are your cards? Even if you tried various cards, if they were all the same class (ie, speed) then the issue could persist. However, I don't believe this is likely unless the cards are a very low class number, so you may want to call Sony service.

I hope this helps.
Eric

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Oct 4, 2011 at 6:11:12 pm

With the NX5U, you need either Class 10 or Class UI cards. Sony claims you can use class 6 but you can't. Class 6 only works, without errors, if capturing in SD mode. That has to be the issue. As for exposure, you do lose f stops as you zoom. Either gain up or stay wide.

Another likely cause for the shutdown is fragmented cards or FMU128 drive (if attached). Read the owners manual. Simply deleting clips and reformatting isn't enough. Doing that over and over leaves fragmented data on the cards which, over time, degrades the cards/drive and causes errors and shutdowns. You have to regularly perform a "Media Empty" of your cards/drive. Camera must be connected to AC power to do this. Unplugging the AC while doing this will seriously ruin the camera so keep that in mind. Go to MODE-MANAGE MEDIA-FORMAT-Select the card to empty-Hold down the stop button for 5 seconds. It will ask if you want to do a Media Empty. Select yes. Once complete format the card and you're ready to shoot.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Oct 5, 2011 at 12:43:16 am

That's great advice Michael gave. I suggest following it.

The only thing I'd add is to be very cautious gaining up. I've done extensive research and testing with this and even at 0db the image has grain. Gaining up severly increases the grain, moreso than SD tape-based cameras. With the NX5u (and from my experience, all 1/3" and 1/2" chip HD cameras) you have to shoot in -3db or -6db to get good results (ie, no or less grain).

Eric

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Oct 10, 2011 at 7:54:37 pm

Hey, just wanted to add a post here regarding the NX5U shutting off. It just happened to me again. I do use class 10 cards and haven't had this problem in months, but the other day I was shooting an interview and at the end when I pressed the record button to stop recording the screen went blank and then it said "retrieving data" and then "cannot retrieve data" (or something to that effect). The footage I just shot was not on the memory card even after attempting the repair image option, however, it WAS still on the external flash memory unit no problem. So.... I HIGHLY recommend the flash unit even though the chances are losing footage is minimal, when it does happen you will be so glad you have the flash unit.

Hope it helps,
Eric

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Oct 12, 2011 at 9:51:41 pm

Eric,

That is why I dual record EVERYTHING I shoot onto the Flash drive. Its great to have that backup option so why not use it?

Return to posts index

Fahad Minhaj
on Oct 12, 2011 at 10:54:31 pm

Hey Guys,

Thank you for all the responses. I deeply appreciate it.

For all my mates above: i am using the pro duo stick, never had the problem before until now. As i stated above, i tested several other SD cards and the problem is still there. Contacted Sony, they said to send the camera in, its not functioning properly. Thanks GOD, my camera is in Warranty, so will be sending the NXCAM to Sony soon. Due to this malfunction, i bought the extended warranty cuz i don't wanna have these problems again later and without warranty, it will not be worth it.

I tried formating the SD Cards according to the method above but for some reason i can't do it. I pressed the STOP button for several seconds but nothing happened.

Anybody interested in this camera, i am willing to sell it. Now it comes with warranty till Oct 2014.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Oct 17, 2011 at 1:42:33 pm

Maybe a moot point now, when doing the media dump and pressing the "stop" button for a few seconds, remember that the camera must be plugged into an outlet and not running on battery.

Michael... yup. Me too now!

Eric

Return to posts index

Noah Bako
Sony nxcam hxr nx5e shoots grainy shots
on Nov 24, 2011 at 3:23:38 pm

Hie,
'Am new to cameras and stuff and just recently bought a sony nxcam hxr-nx5e camcorder. The problem is; i thought since its an HD camcorder, my footage would appear crystal clear when imported into i.e After Effects, however my footage looks too grainy and not high def.

i've searched around on google for answers on how to get the best quality for editing but to no avail. I've tried changing my capture settings to 1920x1080iFX as well ad 1920x1080p FX but still the footage doesnt look great.

i dont know if its my lack of experience or something am not doing right. Your help will greatly be appreciated since i really need to use the camera to make a living.

Help! anybody! Please!

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Sony nxcam hxr nx5e shoots grainy shots
on Nov 24, 2011 at 4:46:18 pm

Hi Noah,

Hi Definition simply means that it can do up to 1920 by 1080 pixels.

All the same camera techniques apply as in SD cameras and still cameras.

It is good to experiment with a new camera under a variety of conditions and see what the results are. Then you know what looks good or not. You can also tell us what conditions you shot under so we can give detailed help.

I am not an after affects expert, so I will discuss items in the camera that could cause this.

Generic help is that graininess is often a byproduct of the camera internally boosting its gain to make a dark scene bright enough to record. If you have the data display turned on, and you see that the gain setting is about 6 db you will start to see graininess. If it is about 15 it will be very noticable

Try shooting in bright light (with ND filters off) and use that as your baseline. If that is still grainy make sure the camera is recording in HD. If it is, then make sure you are bringing to after affects correctly

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Noah Bako
on Nov 24, 2011 at 5:40:11 pm

Thanks so much for your response John,

I used the camera with auto settings but did the test indoors at night with normal house lighting.

i'll try it under different conditions, as you've suggested, and give you feedback.

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Nov 30, 2011 at 2:54:19 pm

The first thing is to know, understand, and work within the limitations of the equipment you're using.

HD cameras need a lot more light than normal to produce clear sharp images.

Your gain settings play a very important role as well. It is my understanding that in Sony cameras, particularly the NX series, 0db is not really 0. 0db will be noiser (or more grainy) than actual "no gain". Keep the camera in -3 or -6db and adjust your lighting accordinly.

Hope that helps.
Eric

Return to posts index

Noah Bako
on Dec 1, 2011 at 11:23:35 am

Thanks for the advice Eric, adjusting the lighting and settings worked like a charm!

Thanks for all the help from creative cow, you guys are awesome!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]