FORUMS: list search recent posts

NXCAM recording in SD 16:9 comes out looking interlaced?

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elise Potaka
NXCAM recording in SD 16:9 comes out looking interlaced?
on Sep 2, 2011 at 10:25:46 am

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum.

I just got a Sony NX5, and recording in HD is fine.

But when I record in SD 720 x 576, and log and transfer into FCP 7.0.3, the footage looks like it needs to be deinterlaced or something. It has those strange lines on the edge of objects, especially when there is movement.

I'm using Pro Res 442, and when I export via compressor to mpg 2, it's a bit better, but still not quite right.

My sequence settings are automatically generated when I drag the clips into the timeline.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? It's quite urgent as I have a job coming up that requires footage in SD 16:9.

Thanks, Elise

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: NXCAM recording in SD 16:9 comes out looking interlaced?
on Sep 3, 2011 at 8:07:15 am

Better shoot HD and scale down.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Elise Potaka
on Sep 4, 2011 at 12:01:52 pm

Thanks Uli, thanks...that's what I think I will do.

But just wondering in the longterm how to solve this - I don't think a camera like this should have that kind of problem. So wanted to see if anyone else had that problem. cheers, Elise

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Sep 4, 2011 at 2:40:46 pm

I have shot a lot of SD video in 740 x 480 60i 16x9 aspect ratio.

When I bring it into Sony Vegas, I do not have the symptoms you describe. For me, it works fine.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Don Huckleberry
on Oct 5, 2011 at 3:40:16 am

Hi Elise,

I am assuming you are shooting PAL given the SD resolution you listed. If you are in the US and should be shooting NTSC, that would be the first issue. I am not familiar with the camcorder - some allow you to switch NTSC/PAL no matter where you are located.

If you are in Europe and PAL is correct, the the video should be interlaced as you describe (PAL does stand for Phase Alternating Line) - different software process it differently, so some automatically de-interlace for viewing playback in the software. You would not see the interlacing "combing" while playing back on an older NTSC TV/monitor.

You may be able to shoot progressively on the camcorder, something you will have to research since I am not familiar with it. Or, if you want to still shoot SD, you can de-interlace on output.

It really all depends on your workflow - and FCP really wasn't ready for AVC I suppose. I do not use AVC in a FCP workflow, but if you are upsampling SD footage to ProRES 422, the scale to HD will make the interlacing worse and it's a problem from then on. You have to get a handle on your workflow (shooting, ingest, edit, output, etc) otherwise.

Are you outputting to web, DVD, BD?

Hope this isn't too late to help. Give me more info and I will try to talk you through it.

Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]