FORUMS: list search recent posts

NX5U recording format settings - trying to finetune my settings together with editing settings

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Pensenstadler
NX5U recording format settings - trying to finetune my settings together with editing settings
on Aug 29, 2011 at 2:03:21 pm

Bottom line: is there a noticable difference between FX / FH / HQ when recording HD?

I've been filming with camera setting of 1080/60i FX. I have done some tests where I've shot the same image in the different settings mentioned above. Not sure if I visually noticed a difference.

I edit with Final Cut Pro, which means I have to convert the AVCHD files to Apple ProRes422 for editing. Even there there's more options - I've been converting to ProRess 422HQ (as opposed to ProRes422LT or just ProRes422) and recently learned that that's way overkill and it's just making larger files with no difference in quality. So from now on I'm chaning my conversion setting to just ProRes422.

So as I'm continueing to learn and streamline my workflow, I'm now curious as to your thoughts on the camera settings and if it's really worth staying up at the FX setting.

Thank you,
Eric

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: NX5U recording format settings - trying to finetune my settings together with editing settings
on Aug 29, 2011 at 3:58:21 pm

You need to test data rates on high detail / high contrast / high motion imagery to see the differences.

Try full screen leaves against the sky in the wind or rippling water in backlight with lots of reflections.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]