FORUMS: list search recent posts

NX5 Slow Motion Frame Rates

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Angelo Ucciferri
NX5 Slow Motion Frame Rates
on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:16:31 pm

Hello,

I primary shoot live concert video - and I exclusively use my NX5 in 24p mode with 1/48 shutter speed. The footage and motion looks great to my eyes, and my clients enjoy the look of 24p.

However, on a recent wedding I shot, the 24p footage looked a little jerky during slow motion shots.

I know that a higher frame rate would be a solution to this problem - but I would still like the look of 24p for my non-slow motion shots.

I was curious if anyone had any workflow suggestions. Should I switch frame rates mid shoot? (Switching frame rates is not the quickest menu operation, but is doable) Also, what would the implications of multiple frame rates during post in Premiere Pro?

As you know, the NX5 has 24p, 30p, 60i, and 60p in 720 mode.

I am willing to work in 720, but there is no 720/24p - which would mean mixing resolutions if I wanted to shoot at 60p & 24p.

Thanks,
Angelo

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: NX5 Slow Motion Frame Rates
on Jul 22, 2011 at 12:58:36 am

If I were you I would try 30p for the entire wedding.

It is a compromise between the the 24p and the 60i.

I would stay away from purposely creating two frame rates. During post one of them will have to be transcoded to the other somewhere during that process.

By the way, where during the wedding do you shoot slow motion?

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Angelo Ucciferri
on Jul 22, 2011 at 1:46:49 am

Thanks for the reply John,

I'll give 30p a shot during some upcoming testing, and I'll let you know what I end up doing for the wedding.

I typically use slow-mo during the aesthetic "beauty shots" of a wedding. Definitely not during the ceremony. But for the montages during prep and the reception, I've used it to create a mood, or even just extend a really nice moment.

Here is a link to a recent video, and you can see my use of slow-mo and how it appears slightly jittery.

Ironically, I was just talking with someone today who is very in-touch with the wedding video industry - and he tells me that a lot of people are moving away from the slow-mo look - and instead focusing on cinema style shooting, without any slow mo.

I have the feeling the people not using slow-mo are the same people shooting with DSLRs, and they already have the surreal film look with the shallow DOF - and don't need slow-mo to enhance the mood.

I am getting off topic! But thanks for the reply!

Angelo

Ironbird Studios
Music / Audio / Video Production
New Jersey / New York City
http://www.ironbirdstudios.com

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Jul 23, 2011 at 2:23:58 am

I had this problem before. My issue was that I was editing 24p in a 30p project timeline. Therefore, while editing, it looked horrible when I slow mowed a shot to half speed because the editor slowed it to 15fps (half of 30) instead of 12fps. Once I actually slowed it to 12fps and rendered it out in 24p, it looked great. Don't know if that is your issue but I'd look at your NLE settings and slow mo frame rates before changing shooting frame rates.

Return to posts index

Angelo Ucciferri
on Jul 22, 2011 at 1:50:39 am

Sorry, forgot to add the link to the aforementioned video sample:

I wonder if you can edit your posts on these forums?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]