FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATTN NX5U users

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Johnston
ATTN NX5U users
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:04:03 am

I've had a major issue with my camera in full HD modes (1920x1080) where the image was flat, soft, and looked almost smeared. This is only in full HD modes, SD, 720, & 1440x1080 modes look fine. I know others have had similar issues with image quality. I've done everything, including setting up custom picture profiles, maxing out the DETAIL, and making sure SKIN TONE was turned off. Well, last night I figured it out. There is a setting in the camera called FLICKER REDUCTION which is on by default. Now, in my NLE, adding a flicker filter really just blends the frames, thus blurring the image. It's great for shooting monitors but nothing else. I turned that off and everything is now perfect. Shot an hours worth of 1920x1080 FX 24Mbs video today and it looks outstanding. Just wanted to pass that along for anyone else having image issues with the NX5U.

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
Re: ATTN NX5U users
on Jul 21, 2011 at 11:09:22 am

Thanks for sharing the info Michael. Not sure that I noticed any difference, but I've turned it off just in case. I do have other issues with image quality but I will save that for a post I've already started on that topic.

FYI, my disappointment with image quality is how grainy the image is. Significantly worse the darker the image, but even in broad daylight I see a lot of noise in the picture.

Thanks again,
Eric

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Jul 21, 2011 at 6:44:51 pm

Eric, anything over 0db gain and outside f2.8 - f4 is going to have some grain simply do to the size of the chips. When shooting outside, set the gain to -6db. That should eliminate the grain.

Return to posts index

Joseph Morgan
on Jul 21, 2011 at 8:19:11 pm

Thanks for both those tips Michael. That's exactly why I like this site. Really useful stuff.

Joseph in Ireland with his new NX5

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Jul 23, 2011 at 1:52:26 pm

Thanks Michael. I do have one of my gain settings set to -6db, I just have to get into the habit of using it and see if I notice any improvements.

For anyone following this thread please look at http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/298/650 and give us your input and thoughts regarding image quality of these and similar HD cameras.

Thanks,
Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]