FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony HXR-NX70U

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad White
Sony HXR-NX70U
on Jul 10, 2011 at 12:32:00 am

Just received my NX70. I've owned two HVR-A1U for the past three years and satisfied with the results (once you understand the limitations). The NX70 is sort of the Flash version of the Tape based A1U, with a little larger physical format and more features.
I'm just starting to learn these features and came across something that I'm not familiar with. There are several shooting modes including "FX & FH Quality, 24Mbps & 17Mbps respectively for 60i & 24p" and a new "PS Quality 28Mbps for 60p". PS is apparently for 60p only. The question is, can PS mode be rendered to AVCHD for burning to a standard DVD (not Blue-Ray) in Vegas 10.0d? I've also read where FX is not supported on a standard DVD.
Brad White

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
Re: Sony HXR-NX70U
on Jul 11, 2011 at 9:37:59 am

Short answer is no. My question is why are you shooting in HD if the final product is going to DVD. Might as well be shooting SD 16x9. I have the NX5U and shooting SD in MPEG2, editing, and burning to DVD looks much better than shooting HD then downconverting and re-compressing to burn to DVD.

Return to posts index

Brad White
on Jul 12, 2011 at 9:50:30 pm

I don't have a particular desire to shoot in HD (not planning on Blu-Ray) other than trying to get the best video quality available for standard DVD's. My past experience has shown a problem with scenes that include faster motion, such as baton twirling for example, where the smooth edge of the baton is jagged during play back. I was hoping that a different frame rate or higher resolution or interlaced vs progressive scan would overcome this problem.
Also, my older A1U saved video files as avi (minimal compression) rather than mpeg-2 (higher compression) in the NX70. Is there an advantage or disadvantage when editing in Vegas?

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:20:06 am

If you are having an issue with jagged edges then it's your export/burn settings. Has nothing to do with shooting SD. I just did a shoot with my NX5U in SD (MPEG2), edited it in Premiere, and output to DVD using Emcore and it looks fantastic. Your DVD burner may need a firmware upgrade. No matter what format/resolution you shoot, it has to be converted to MPEG2 before being burned to a DVD. Shooting as close as possible to DVD specs (which the NX5U does in SD), will make for a better conversion and burn by any DVD authoring software. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]