FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some bad files, not readable

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Pensenstadler
Some bad files, not readable
on Jul 5, 2011 at 7:14:06 pm

I recently recorded highlights of a live event for a TV commercial. Filmed in 1920x1080 30p FX (NX5U). Filmed about 150 individual clips in all. About the first 10 clips are bad.

What I mean by "bad" is that the camera will not play them back - says "no applicable files are available" when I try to play it back via the camera - but all the info is there, from the first frame thumbnail to the length of the clip. Even in the computer I can see how long the clip is and even see the size of the clip. So the information itself is there.

Upon trying to L&T into FCP I can see all the clips in L&T window, except the bad ones have a black thumbnail image and won't play or transfer (but again, it shows me the length of each clip).

If there's a way to salvage the clips I'd be most grateful, but at the least I would like to know what happened for future reference.

Ironically, I've been toying with getting the flash memory unit but just didn't want to spend the $ because the cards have been good. But I'm ordering one today and probably very soon a second one for my other NX5U.

Thank you for any help,
Eric

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Some bad files, not readable
on Jul 5, 2011 at 9:16:08 pm

Eric,

It seems like there is a function on the camera to repair file structure or something.

If that doesn't work, I would call sony tech support.

I think that going to the memory unit is a good thing.

If the video clips are super high importance, I have also done the following. 1. using a binary editor 2. Opened up the bad file 3. Copy the data portion. 4. Open up a copy of a readable file 5. Paste the data portion from the bad file into the data section of the readable file. 6. Save.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:04:46 pm

Thanks for the advice John, you're always very helpful.

May I ask what is a "binary editor"? Not sure what you mean. I'd love to follow you're instructions 1-6 but I must admit I'm a little lost.

Eric

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Jul 9, 2011 at 7:19:12 pm

First, there is a clip repair function to salvage the clips. It's in the user manual. Second, the reason this happened in the first place is because you've probably never done a MEDIA DUMP of your cards. That is also in your manual. If you don't do a MEDIA DUMP regularly then what I call "dirty file fragments" build up on the card and eventually can damage recorded clips. Simply deleting clips or formatting the card is not enough. A MEDIA DUMP wipes EVERYTHING off the card. Sony suggest doing this everytime you delete media from the card. I actually do it every few weeks and have never had a problem. In your case, if you don't dump soon, you'll eventually have your camera crash on you during recording which will permanently damage the card. You should always read through your user manual carefully before using a new camera.

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Jul 10, 2011 at 1:55:57 pm

Thank you Michael. Ironically, I just performed a media dump on this card. I filmed one event on the card after the media dump which is still on the card, and in which all the files are good.

I had forgotten about the clip repair function. I haven't tried it yet but will soon.

Reading the user manual is great, but it's like learning a second language. You can be told what the words are, but if you don't use them then you forget them. It's hard to remember everything in a manual so that's why it's nice to have great people like yourself on forums like these to help us all along.

Thank you everybody.
Eric

Return to posts index

Patrick Ferrara
on Mar 28, 2014 at 8:07:20 pm

Mr. Johnson, regarding reading the manual that you mentioned over and over - some of us have a life - loser!

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Mar 29, 2014 at 2:04:48 am

Patrick, that wasnt very nice. There's no need for comments like that in a forum. Michael took his time to respond and offer a suggestion for help. That should be respected and appreciated. Know why you wrote what you did. Agreed, a sense of sarcasm could have been detected in his post. But nevertheless, he put more time and thought into his post than you did yours.
Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]