FORUMS: list search recent posts

FS100 internal ND?

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Diamond
FS100 internal ND?
on Jun 6, 2011 at 12:01:10 am

I read a post in another COW forum that said the NEX-FS100 does not have internal ND filters? If this is true, I find it to be a major oversight/ommission on Sony's part. I was at NAB for the demonstration of the camera and came away thinking that it was amazing. Same image (minus S-Log) as the F3 but much less expensive. If it doesn't have ND filtering on-board, however, this will be a deal-breaker.

Rick

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: FS100 internal ND?
on Jun 6, 2011 at 1:25:31 pm

Hi Rick,

I have also had my eye on this camera since they preannounced it in November.

The large sensor size seems very appealing.

I was not at NAB, so I did not see it, just the literature.

As an engineer, it appears that they targeted those people who have already been using DSLRs for shooting video, rather than targeting video guys who want a large sensor size. Since DSLRs don't have built in ND filters, this may not either. (I don't know)

Why is built in filter a deal breaker? For people who would have used a DSLR the way to reduce the light is either an external filter, or shoot at a higher speed. Shooting at a higher speed is certainly quicker to change and would seem to have the same effect.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Jun 6, 2011 at 8:22:50 pm

For me, changing the shutter speed is not a suitable solution. It will drastically change the look and feel of the image. That only leaves using either a matte box or screw-on ND filter. That means this camera (if, in fact, it really does not have internal ND) forces you to put additional glass in front of your lens. That's pretty lame just to be able to expose properly for exterior daylight.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this...But not too much light.

Rick

Return to posts index

Ben Kupfer
on Jun 15, 2011 at 2:07:40 am

It's the shallow flange depth on the camera. The sensor is just too close to allow built in ND between it and the back plane of the mounted lens. I own one and it's a fantastic camera. I also use screw on ND filters and/or a matte box, just as I have for years and years of shooting both still and motion picture film. Good quality glass filters (Tiffen) in no way cause any degradation of the image. Any kind of filter you want, you can get, and of course, you can stack them for additional effects. No issue in my opinion.

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Jun 15, 2011 at 12:24:20 pm

That's sounds logical. Unfortunate, but logical. I wonder what the flange depth of the F3 is though.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:12:39 am

Panasonic FS 100 does have the ND Filter Dial. You just dial it in. No switching to preset ND setting.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:05:50 pm

What do you mean by preset ND setting?

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jul 19, 2011 at 9:44:22 am

I wonder why Sony couldn't do that as well. AFAIK there are only 2mm less of flange depth in E-mount than in µFT.
But I second the use of a matte box for filters. Much more flexible and in many cases you'd want graded NDs, polarizers or the like anyway.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Jul 22, 2011 at 12:06:10 am

Getting a proper exposure to exterior lighting is essential as the first step. Sony understands this and provides internal ND filters in the F3. If the F3 includes this then why doesn't the FS100? This brings me back to the flange distance. What is the difference between the F3 and the FS100 flange distance? If it isn't significant enough to preclude the use of an internal ND filter, then why doesn't the FS100 include one?

Rick

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Aug 5, 2011 at 4:54:52 pm

Flange distance for PL mount is 52mm vs. 18 for NEX …

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Shawn Sutherland
on Apr 18, 2013 at 5:33:53 am

Speaking of Matte Boxes.....

Since I already own the NEX-FS100, a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens, and a Genus 77mm ND filter, I need a matte box that works for my particular lens/filter combo:

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens: http://vistek.ca/store/CameraLenses/...for-nikon.aspx

Genus 77mm ND filter: http://vistek.ca/store/CameraFilters...-nd-fader.aspx

Here's what I need help with:

I need a matte box that works with this lens/filter combination, doesn't vignette with the Tokina at 11mm on my NEX-FS100, but still allows access to the ND filter ring.

I might be asking for too much here, but I'll ask anyway just in case somebody already got it working on their camera.

Anybody?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]