FORUMS: list search recent posts

nxcam with ninja?

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam dewhirst
nxcam with ninja?
on May 13, 2011 at 6:39:53 am

im interested in combining the nxcam5u with the atomos ninja to bypass the cameras compression. it is said that this will get me a 422 rather than a 400 colour space. has anyone used this combination and seen results that would justify the purchase of a ninja?

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
Re: nxcam with ninja?
on Jun 22, 2011 at 2:17:52 pm

I own 5 ninjas to work in a multicam set up, utilising FCP7 multiclip feature. Not with an NX5 but V1, and I can confirm that the video produced is full 1920x1080 (rather than 1440x1080) through hdmi and the colour is richer, so I believe it is real 10bit 422 pro Rez, there's a little more graining maybe than tape but on bad whip pans doing tape and recording to ninja (at the same time) a ninja frame has none of the blockiness or streaking of the HDV frame. Ninja is the real deal. I was toying with an nx5 rather than an ex1, as it is the v1 footage, or rather the cameras have been given a second life by the ninja. Also a 6 camera shoot usually produced 30 60min tapes, ingest pro Res (HDV) would require sitting in front of fcp ingesting capture now, for 48hrs. I imported the same ninja footage, to my raid in 4hrs. Also using the multclip feature, HDV tape like dv is prone to tape drop outs, and dragging half a clip through a 15min sequence can take an hour. No broken clips in Pro Res, that saved me another 6-10 hours in post. I'm trying to convince them to embed day and time (down to frame) so I can slave/synchronise one to another on timecode and I'll save another 6hours. Again meaning you could use prosumer cams rather than timecode cams for multicam work.

Another useful use of the ninja, i've found FCP transcoding of HD avchd, when rendering out in Compressor for standard def DVD the avchd footage even transcoded to pro Res is full of terrible artifacts and ghosting, however putting the avchd camera into play mode and attaching the hdmi you can play it out (as though to a tv) to the ninja record that signal as pro Res hd (admittedly in real time, which is not much slower than transcode) this then can be used in fcp and after exporting a sd DVD none of the artifacts nor ghosting could be seen.

They are cheaper than the competition, the drives are cheap enough to used as a master/archive. Battery life/power consumption claims are real. I ran one for 24hrs recording on 2 npf970s.

Finally their web & email support is superb. (no I'm not employee of Atomos) yes I am a fanboy!

Return to posts index

Alex Grainger
Re: nxcam with ninja?
on Sep 2, 2011 at 12:40:01 pm

Hi,

I am almost convinced I should buy a Ninja for my NX5. The only thing I am worried about is that it splits large files into 4GB chunks. How do you fair at joining them together again?

I am currently using FCP7 which I know has the import folder command which works, but I am moving to FCPX, which will leave me only with the option of locating which clips should go together, create a compound clip, or re-export to a new Prores file (which sounds like a pain). Is there a smarter way around this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]