FORUMS: list search recent posts

NX5u error and shutting off!

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Pensenstadler
NX5u error and shutting off!
on Apr 18, 2011 at 9:08:42 pm

Adam Welz has posted discussion on his NX5u "crashing" during filming and apparently this is a somewhat common problem.

I have 2 NX5u's and I use one more often than the other. The one I use more often I have experienced this "crash" twice - FORTUNATELY not while filming anything crucial. Soon we will begin filming about 25 weddings for 2011 and quite frankly I'm scared to death to use my brand new HD cameras that I just paid a lot of money for (Sony NX5u's). That shouldn't be.

Rick DeBari suggested that the problem could be linked to the Sony camera not liking the brand of SD card being used (I use Transcend 32gig Class10). Again, I spent $1000 on cards for these nice new cameras and it would really stink if they were not fully compatible with the cameras. On the other side, I'd gladly invest in all new cards if it gave me the unconditional confidence that my cameras would not shut off in the middle of a wedding.

So, with all that said, can anybody help advise on what I should do? Get new cards? Return the cameras to Sony? etc?

Thank you very much!
Eric P

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
Re: NX5u error and shutting off!
on Jun 9, 2011 at 3:56:25 am

In the user manual, it says to do a MEDIA DUMP when deleting cards, not just deleting clips or formatting cards. Intelligible media fragments will build up on the cards or flash unit and eventually cause the camera to be unable to capture to the media. You should do a MEDIA DUMP of your cards and flash unit once a week. Also, using cards that can not write at the speed needed for the setting you're in will crash the camera. Many cards only write at 20Mbs but the camera's FX mode records at 24Mbs. I ALWAYS use SDHC Class IU cards that write at 45Mbs. I have yet to experience a crash my taking these steps.

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Jun 9, 2011 at 2:31:38 pm

In my research I've concluded that I was pretty sure it was related to the SDHC cards. I was not aware of the Media Dump as opposed to reformatting the cards. I will do that. I haven't had this occur in months and I've been shooting a lot. But I will double check my cards and compare the Mbs. I will glady invest in new cards if it gives me my confidence back!

Hey, what about the hard drive attachment (flash memory unit)? I know that I probably should be using this in place of / together with the SDHC cards but I haven't purchased them yet. What do you recommend?

Thank you,
Eric

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Jun 10, 2011 at 6:37:08 am

I personally think the portable flash drive is a must. I dual record EVERYTHING. Drives and cards do, and will, fail eventually so having the option to create an instant backup for insurance was a big reason why I bought this camera. Be aware that operating the camera this way cuts the battery life by about 30%. I have two Sony NPF970's and the 570 that came with the camera and will use all of them on a 10 hour shoot.

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Jun 10, 2011 at 12:42:05 pm

Great advice. Thank you.
Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]