FORUMS: list search recent posts

Back focus problems

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marty Jenoff
Back focus problems
on Mar 2, 2011 at 11:35:11 pm

I just got the NX 5 last week and used it on my first shoot. I did my regular zoom in and focus and then zoom out. But now that I look at everything in my editing system, the subject looks a tad out of focus and the background looks clear.

Does this cam have a back focus control that I'm missing?

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Back focus problems
on Mar 3, 2011 at 12:28:04 am

No, There is no backfocus.

You have run into the NXCam anti face detection system.

I have documented for Sony Product Support, and they have duplicated the tests. It goes like this. The way the camera auto focus works is that trys to make vertical lines in the frame sharp.

The downside is that if there are vertical lines behind your subject, it will prefer those to the round face of a human being. I call them architectural lines. For instance, all grace, bricks, or the vertical edges of window frames are all subject to being focused on when compared to a face.

Sony said the effect is more pronounced when the lighting is low and the zoom is more than half way zoomed. I found it happening in bright light when the zoom is more than half way zoomed.

I will upload the sample pictures I sent to Sony, if I can figure out how to do it.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Sample of focus issues
on Mar 3, 2011 at 1:18:39 am

Here are samples of the problem showing how the camera prefers architecture to faces.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Marty Jenoff
Re: Sample of focus issues
on Mar 3, 2011 at 3:07:37 am

You're referring to when the camera is in autofocus, correct?

I had the camera in manual. I zoomed in and focused on the person eyes or mouth, then zoomed out to a medium or wide shot.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Mar 3, 2011 at 4:18:46 am

Yes,

I was talking about when it is in auto focus.

When in manual focus, I have not seen a problem.

Except in one case of user error. I focused the way you suggested while viewing with the eyepiece. However, the diopter adjustment on the eyepiece had moved since the previous time I used it. So, I focused it incorrectly.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Marty Jenoff
on Mar 3, 2011 at 1:01:04 pm

Well, I'm planning on calling Sony when they open at 830am. I do have the issue on tape. guess I should prepare the clip in case they want to see it!

Return to posts index

Marty Jenoff
on Mar 4, 2011 at 11:11:16 am

I called Sony yesterday and they said I should send in my 2 week old camera. I shipped it out and hopefully it will come back soon. So frustrating!

Return to posts index

Chris Sgaraglino
on May 13, 2011 at 1:18:37 am

What was the result of you sending in your new cam to Sony?

I am about to purchase one and I know that in the past, bF was an issue, but have notnread anything recent until your post.

Where did you purchase yours?

---
Warm Regards,
Chris Sgaraglino
Outdoor Studios Photography || on Flickr || on Twitter

Return to posts index

Marty Jenoff
on May 13, 2011 at 12:27:12 pm

My camera was there for about 2 weeks. They found nothing wrong with the camera. They said it's common for the image to look soft under low lighting, but I didn't think my interviews were that low. They were typical interview situations.

Return to posts index

Philip Cealnder
on Feb 27, 2014 at 6:12:20 pm

Hi,

I have been a professional cameraman for 35 years and have just bought my first NX-5. I too checked focus the standard way, zoom in, focus, zoom out. It looked fine but that was on the small flip out colour viewfinder. When I went into edit the picture looked soft. I was horrified!

What the hell is this system I'm reading about that looks for vertical lines and who ever heard of vertical lines on someone's face? I have always used Sony professional cameras and I have never had any problems with them but this is a serious fault.

I cannot use a camera that decides to look at the background just because it has vertical lines instead of the person I'm focussing on. Does anyone know any more about this or how it can be fixed?

Phil

Return to posts index

Travis Wine
on Jun 1, 2011 at 9:38:32 am

I am having the same problems - exactly how you posted - my subjects are out of focus and the background is in focus just like your pictures. Did Sony ever come up with a way to fix this or am I stuck with a $4000.00 camera that can't focus?

Thanks!

Travis

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Jun 1, 2011 at 2:29:49 pm

I sent my camera in to Sony along with the pictures I showed you.

They said it was because of the low light. Two of my examples were outdoors with not a cloud in the sky in the middle of the day!

Then they gave me some gibberish about focusing, but essentially the repair guys said it works as designed.

They promised to report it to the product manager. I don't know if the message got through or not. It seems like they could fix it in firmware if they wanted to.

John

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

meego sim
on Oct 1, 2011 at 10:43:37 am

i havs same issue and the same answer after send to service centre singapore.
other than that the focus error, overflow buffering error also happen on my NX5 camera.
very bad camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]