FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrade from Handycam HDR-CX520V to HXRNX5U

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Barringer
Upgrade from Handycam HDR-CX520V to HXRNX5U
on Feb 14, 2011 at 1:45:01 pm

I've never owned a professional camcorder. I'm a wedding photographer that's considering offering HD video. I'd like to make a 20 minute Blu-Ray slide show with about 50/50 mix of video and stills. I've used my Nikon D3s for video but I'd like a dedicated camcorder. For personal use I have a Sony HDR-CX520V, it shoots ACVHD and I'm happy with the results. The CX520V works fairly well in low light.

Question: How much of a difference in video will I see with the NX5U? I realize audio will be a huge improvement but my question is about the HD video quality.

Editing AVCHD is not a problem, I have a Mac Pro dual quad core running Win7 64bit and Vegas 10.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Upgrade from Handycam HDR-CX520V to HXRNX5U
on Feb 14, 2011 at 2:59:42 pm

Greg,

The NX5U is a great camera for wedding and event videography.

If you are serious about the videography side of your business, it is the minimum you want to get. If you want to compare the differences, just rent it for a weekend and use it on a gig or play with it and do your own comparison.

Compared to a consumer camera, it is night and day. Based on the glass, you will get sharper images and lower light. Most importantly, you can do things manually, like adjust for backlight, reflections, focus and things.

Compared to the dslr, you will get the audio, ease of controls, and better zoom ratio. 20 to 1 zoom. In general dslr's do a better job of allowing you to have a shallow depth of field, you will loose that. But for a wedding, having the better zoom ratio far outweighs the depth of field. You can't move around the church like you do as a still photographer. You have to plan your position, move very little, and zoom across the church. And when you zoom, you need better low light since zooming throws light away.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:14:56 pm

Thanks John, that's the information I was looking for. I was guessing it would be like going from a good point and shoot still camera to a DSLR with pro glass.

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:35:14 pm

Does anyone know if there are rumors of Sony offering a new version of the NX5?

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:18:32 pm

Greg,
In November 2010 Sony announced an NXcam family camera with availability mid 2011.

It is supposed to have a 35 mm image sensor, and interchangeable lens. It goes by the name nxcam 35. It is on Sonys web site.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Feb 14, 2011 at 5:52:11 pm

Thanks for that information. Wouldn't it be something if I could use my Nikon lenses. The 70-200 f/2.8 VR bokeh would be something to see.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]