FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony HXR-NX5U & AE CS4 on PC

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl Sollenberger
Sony HXR-NX5U & AE CS4 on PC
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:15:43 pm

My main tool for editing is After Effects (CS4 on PC)

I was looking at this camera ( Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM Professional Camcorder )
Here's a link -
http://www.gadgetfolder.com/sony-nxcam-hxr-nx5u-professional-avchd-camcorde...

My concern:
Will my AE be compatible with the high-def files this camera puts out.
Does anyone have any experience with this combo?

I am new to the idea of going HD so I am very in the dark on all of this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Sony HXR-NX5U & AE CS4 on PC
on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:26:27 pm

[Carl Sollenberger] "My main tool for editing is After Effects (CS4 on PC"

I hope you're simply confusing the terms "editing" and "effects work". AE is a lousy editing application.

[Carl Sollenberger] "Will my AE be compatible with the high-def files this camera puts out. "

Nope. You'll have to transcode to something else. Here's what Wikipedia says about AVCHD:
"AVCHD utilizes MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (AVC) video compression codec and either Dolby AC-3 (Dolby Digital) or linear PCM audio compression codec."

And here's why that's significant:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

-----------------------

You'd also want to record PCM audio on this camera: AE doesn't like compressed audio, either.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Carl Sollenberger
on Mar 22, 2010 at 7:40:46 pm

ok so the short answer is no - bummer.
And actually I should have been more clear. Most of my basic edits are done in Premier (CS4 Package) but AE is a big part of most every project I do..

Is there an example that could be givin as to how I could make this camera work with CS4 on a PC?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 22, 2010 at 8:23:09 pm

I'd ask about this on Premiere forum, at first blush; I'm a Final Cut Pro Guy, so I don't know the good, non-long-gop codecs for Premiere and Windows.

But most editing applications work about the same way, so I'd guess you currently capture in Premiere, but you don't convert the footage from MXF/XDCAM HD as you capture. There's probably a way to do so, and I'd inquire about it.

Yeah, the converted files will be bigger, but if you use AE a lot, it's worth the hassle.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]