FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage flickering or bad interlacing - camera or editing issue?

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Pensenstadler
Footage flickering or bad interlacing - camera or editing issue?
on Feb 8, 2011 at 7:47:30 pm

Hello.

Footage filmed with the NX5u set to SD 720x480 60i looks fine on computer monitor (editing with Final Cut Pro). When I export a clip and burn it to DVD using iDVD I get two things:

1. When viewing the SD DVD on a regular SD TV the footage is very jittery, or, flickers. It looks like it was filmed with 1/30 shutter speed or even 24p. The footage flickers very bad on movement, and even still flickers on static shots too. When viewing footage this way I do not notice interlacing, only the flicker.

2. When viewing the same DVD on a flatscreen HD TV it plays smooth in that the jitter, or flicker, is gone, but then the interlacing is severe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to at least narrow down whether it's coming from the camera (settings) or from the editing program (FCP).

Thank you,
Eric

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Footage flickering or bad interlacing - camera or editing issue?
on Feb 8, 2011 at 7:52:16 pm

I have recorded many times using the 720 x 480 x 60 i setting on the nxcam.

I edit with Vegas Pro 10, and create DVDs with Vegas DVD Architect.

I have had no flickering, jittery, or problems like you describe.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Feb 8, 2011 at 8:04:40 pm

John, I was hoping you would reply - you seem very knowledgeable in your posts.

I can't imagine what's going on. When you edit do you have a preview monitor? I am currently using an HD monitor connected via an HDMI card. The footage is very interlaced on the preview monitor but all this time I've just been hoping that was because it was an HD monitor with SD footage. I'm sure that's part of it, but I was hoping it would work itself out when creating a DVD. I'm even more surprised at the flickering on a regular SD tv. Don't know what to do.

Thanks for your post.
Eric

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Feb 8, 2011 at 8:44:59 pm

Eric,

I have one lcd monitor, 1900 x 1200 connected via analog connections to my computer. I preview on that same monitor that I edit.

I don't have a mac or fcp or imac, so I cannot help troubleshoot those types of issues for you.

When you record some ACVHD footage and render and create a DVD, is the problem still there?

If you want to ftp one of your mpeg files as it comes off the camera, I will render it into a dvd iso format and send it back to you, and verify that Vegas handles it ok. That would elimate any camera settings as the issue. Let me know if you want to do that and I will send you my

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Feb 8, 2011 at 8:57:47 pm

John, you're very kind.

Let's do it.

Eric

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Feb 8, 2011 at 9:41:15 pm

go to this ftp site with filezilla or equivalent:

002bb65.netsolhost.com

username: lenicamguest
password: December2

upload your file and let me know when it is there.

John

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Feb 8, 2011 at 10:25:23 pm

John, I tried downloading Filezilla but couldn't get it to open properly. When I copy and paste 002bb65.netsolhost.com it just opens your website.

Is there another way? I can email you the file or send it via yousendit.com. I've chosen a short 5 second clip that is 27MB. Hmm, now that I see that that seems pretty high (27MB) for a 5 second SD clip.

Also, something to know, I do not have the original camera card files, only the ProRes 422 that it has been converted to via Final Cut Pro. I don't know if that matters for your test.

Return to posts index

Eric Pensenstadler
on Feb 8, 2011 at 11:29:01 pm

Some additional info: I took some HD test footage (1920x1080, 60i) I filmed when I first got the camera, exported right out of FCP, burned SD disc in iDVD and it plays back very nice on both SD and HD tvs. So it appears my problem is only with SD footage.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Feb 9, 2011 at 12:20:01 am

Others on this forum who are familiar with fcp have talked about a certain setting to convert the sd footage to be conformed properly in FCP. If you can get the raw SD footage again, you may try converting it differently before editing.

JOhn

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]