FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Archive Plan for AVCHD Footage?

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amber Miller
Best Archive Plan for AVCHD Footage?
on Dec 1, 2010 at 11:36:37 pm

I'm very interested in the Sony NX5. I want to get away from tape. I'm interested in hearing what people are using to archive the footage since there is no traditional tape to go back to. And I often have to give tapes to people to edit-- so what would be the best way to give somebody else the 'raw' footage?

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: Best Archive Plan for AVCHD Footage?
on Dec 2, 2010 at 12:14:51 am

This is one of the best parts of the NXcam. You can dual record

You buy the FM128 memory module for your camera.

You buy class 6 or 10 SD cards for your customer.

You set up the camera to record to both. After the shoot, you hand the sd media to the customer and head home yourself. Between you and your client you decide whether they supply the blank sd card, or you supply it.

Regarding backing up, I have configured a Raid system which I use to archive files, not just the raw footage files, but the entire project.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index

Mark Van Horn
on Dec 2, 2010 at 1:11:39 pm

That is A LOT of hard drive space. To archive I usually just keep a high quality output of my final project as a quicktime file and a backup of the raw files strait off the sd card or my memory module. After Im finished editing, I trash the project files, because they are so LARGE. If I need to do a recut sometime in the future you can just log and transfer again.

Developer of Video Production
Columbus State Community College
Web: http://www.cscc.edu/cstv
Twitter: CSCC_Videoguy

Return to posts index

Amber Miller
on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:13:07 pm

That's what I was concerned with Mark-- the amount of hard drive space it would take it up.
So, do you just drag and drop footage straight off the SD cards to a hard drive to archive? How large in size would a 32GB card be for instance before transferring to the ProRes 422 codec? Would burning on a dvd or blue ray disc be an option? I would just prefer to have a hard copy away from the computer.

Also, what would be the best format to give someone else other than giving them the SD card?
Is ProRes the only way to handle this footage? Obviously those files are huge.

I hope I'm making sense.....
Thanks for the tips!

Return to posts index

Mark Van Horn
on Dec 2, 2010 at 5:49:35 pm

Yea, you just drag and drop the ENTIRE contents of the sd card making sure you all associated files and not just the .mts files. That is essentially your "tape". If you filled up a 32GB card your "tape" archive would be 32GB. If you only took up 7GB on the 32GB card then your "tape" would only be 7GB. Now transferring that 7GB "tape" into FCP with to transcode to ProRes 422 codec really blows up your file size.

For instance a video I shot last week, my "tape" was 3.26GB. It was a total of 17 minutes worth of footage. After I transcoded to ProRes my Quicktime Clips added up to 14.58GB for 17 minutes of footage. I was shooting on the highest quality 1080p.

Thats why I say transcode to ProRes, edit, then dump the transcoded files and only keep the smaller "tape"

You can archive on dvd or blue ray as long as your "tape" fits on it. If your does not want to log and transfer the files off the sd card you give them, you can have them buy an external hard drive and you cant transcode the file to quicktime for them. And yes, the files are biggins.

Developer of Video Production
Columbus State Community College
Web: http://www.cscc.edu/cstv
Twitter: CSCC_Videoguy

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:47:35 am

I dual record to SD cards and the Flash unit. Give the cards to the client them head home with a copy on the flash unit. Once back, I copy EVERYTHING from the Flash unit onto 1TB Western Digital Passport Essential hard drives. when a drive fills up, I buy a new one and start filling it. I also have a 1TB drive explicitly for STOCK FOOTAGE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]