FORUMS: list search recent posts

NX-CAM or HDV

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Knight
NX-CAM or HDV
on Nov 14, 2010 at 5:52:41 pm

Hi there, newbie to the site but not to the field,....

Have the finances to either go for the HXR-NX5e or the HVR-Z5e. Now i've recently been using the consumer TG3E into FCP using Log and Transfer, so this type of ingestion is familiar. But i'm happy to go back to Capture if that's what it takes. So my question is really about image quality.
I'm not able to make BBC/ITV standard programmes as I ONLY have the camera I purchase and no other pro format devices. But looking to make high-end, quality company progs, docs etc...

SO, as both have the G-Lens, 3-CMOS Exmor chips and Xlr for audio, what are the pros and cons for each? I'd like the ability to film progressive as well as Interlace for some arty docs i have planned, and so are the AVCHD images as good or better.

I'm going to be down-converting to DVD or compressing to computer screen res display, but want to have the highest quality image in, as it were...

Any thoughts... Suppose its HDV vs AVCHD really... let battle commence...

Regards

Simon

Been there, Done that, Bought the T-Shire, Took the Photo. Now want to make the Film.....

Return to posts index

Ray Pegram
Re: NX-CAM or HDV
on Nov 15, 2010 at 10:45:20 am

I really love the Sony NX5P (PAL).. I think that once you go tapeless then you will never go back. I also like recording at 1080X1920 shooting in progressive. I use the FMU for 11 hours non-stop HD recording.

I run a wedding business and use both the NX5 and the EX1R and both cameras are very smooth on the time line so much so that I have difficulty seperating which camera shot which clip. I am even considering buying another NX5.

My advice is go with the NX5.

Ray

Return to posts index

Simon Knight
on Nov 15, 2010 at 8:26:44 pm

Ray,
Cheers for that. Just a thought. The NX seems to be lacking the Histogram function and Shot Transition ability. Now I've never used these anyway, but wonder if they are useful features that the z5 has that are sorely missed by yourself or anyone else for that matter?

It would be very handy to use the Tg3 as a sort of baby "B" camera using the same Log and Trans workflow... hmmm, very confusticating... Was very set on the Z5 and then just wondered if i was taking a HUGE step back going to tape!

Regards

SK

Been there, Done that, Bought the T-Shire, Took the Photo. Now want to make the Film.....

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:40:16 am

How important is SDI out to you? That was the main reason I bought the NX5U over the Z5U. I would rather have had the Z5 for many reasons (shoot tape & solid state, DV/DVCAM instead of MPEG2, .m2t files are easier on the CPU than AVCHD etc) but I needed SDI out to be able to connect to a live/sat truck to do live shots. It's the only advantage the NX5 has over the Z5.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]