FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone use the hd/sdi output for higher bitrate on the Sony HXR-NX5U

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Wine
Anyone use the hd/sdi output for higher bitrate on the Sony HXR-NX5U
on Nov 9, 2010 at 3:46:59 pm

Sony's HXR-NX5U is great for web video, but if you use the full resolution recording then watch this on a 50 inch screen it's not so great even with proper lighting. I was wondering if anyone was using a recorder device like the ki pro mini or the nano flash on the HXR-NX5U. Does the footage seem less grainy on a 50 inch or bigger screen? I am aware of its benefit with green screens but if I pay 2000 or more to obtain a portable hd/sdi capture I really want the picture looking much better.

Return to posts index

Chris Simpson
Re: Anyone use the hd/sdi output for higher bitrate on the Sony HXR-NX5U
on Nov 18, 2010 at 11:16:18 am

I confess I can't answer your question but I'm also interested in the answer.

I was looking at XDcam user website sorry haven't got the link on my iPhone, that had an article about using a nano flash on ex1 to video lightning bolts or something and it went on to discuss the subtle but observable improvement when capturing at 50Mbps or a 100Mbps 422, over 35Mbps on the Ex1.

I'm left wondering what to do I want my next camera purchase to have a 20x zoom like my V1, I fear the ex1 will be to short, adaptors have vignetting on the short end, I'd consider an ex3, but adding a Canon KH20 would make it prohibitively expensive, and mad, if I could just add a nano/ki pro mini/ atomos ninja to a more humble, but Essentially supercharged by bypassing the camera compression to say 50Mbps 422 1920x1080 on a Z5 or NX, I do motorsports so I have good light, but need reach, but also need the flexibility, additionally I do some broadcast work that requires DVcam. I thought choosing my next camera would be easy, but it's really quite hard!

Return to posts index

Michael Johnston
Re: Anyone use the hd/sdi output for higher bitrate on the Sony HXR-NX5U
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:53:56 am

First, if you light it properly and shoot at -3db or -6db gain, the picture looks phenomenal on a 50" HDTV. However, I recently rented a Nano Flash for a day to test this very setup. I was astonished. First, attaching a monitor via SDI to view a live HD image was amazing. Second, I shot some video on the Nano then checked it out. In bright lighting I didn't see much of a difference. However, medium to low light was a different story. The Nano shots looked much much better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]