FORUMS: list search recent posts

getting the best DOF from the NXCAM

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Morrison
getting the best DOF from the NXCAM
on Oct 24, 2010 at 11:12:34 pm

Hi again everyone,

I did some test shots using my brand spanking new NXCAM, and have (at least for now) kept all the settings to fully automatic (focus etc.).

I was a bit surprised that the DOF was not quite as pronounced as I had anticipated. Only upon zooming in did I really notice a nice DOF/blurred background. Is this something best controlled with manual focus, or is there another way to maximize the DOF? Maybe someone could enlighten me.

Thanks for the help.

Scott Morrison
Just an amateur trying to learn

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: getting the best DOF from the NXCAM
on Oct 25, 2010 at 2:51:04 am

Scott,

I assume when you say maximize the DOF you mean have a shallow DOF.

The way to have a shallow depth of field is same as with all camera.

The wider the aperature the shaller the DOF plus the more the magnification, ie zoom, the shaller the DOF.

If shallow depth of field is your target. Then go to what I call semi automatic mode.

1. In the menu, set it up so you can see all your setting on the display, speed, aperature, gain etc. You will notice that there are small A letters next to each of them indicating that item is in automatic mode.

2. On the left side slide the camera from auto to manual. You will notice that the items still say A next to them, if you don't touch that button, it will stay in auto.

3. Press the iris button on the side and turn the dial to get it to read as small as possible, which is open as much as possible. Now that reading does not have an A next to it, so it is fixed. Let the other items stay auto and they will make your exposure correct given that aperature (iris) setting.

4. Then try to use your zoom to increase the effect more. So if you want to do an interview, get about 10 -20 feet away and zoom in to get the upper body shot. (Of course you will need that sennhesier wireless mic so you can hear the person.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index

Scott Morrison
on Oct 25, 2010 at 12:42:49 pm

Thanks John. You are very helpful.

Scott Morrison

Return to posts index

Scott Morrison
on Oct 25, 2010 at 11:10:48 pm

John,

Following your instructions, as soon as I slide the switch from Auto to Manual, the "A" indication disappears from all indicators (unlike what you said). It doesn't seem to work as you described.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Sorry to be a bother.

-Scott

Scott Morrison

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Oct 26, 2010 at 12:11:48 am

Scott,

I just pulled out my camera and I guess I was one press short.

When you switch it to manual, they all go to manual. Press the indivial buttons to get that item back to Auto.

For instance, with the slide switch in manual, you can toggle gain from auto to manual by pressing the gain button. While it is not in auto you can turn the rolling dial and change the manual gain to what you want.

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]