FORUMS: list search recent posts

NX5U HD-SDI Output Question

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Frace
NX5U HD-SDI Output Question
on Sep 17, 2010 at 3:58:32 pm

I recently purchased a Blackmagic Decklink Extreme HD card for my Mac Pro. I connected the card via SDI to my NX5U and tried to record 1080/24p. I could not get any connection. I then checked my settings and found the the NX5U can only output 1080/60i? Is there a way to record true 1080p footage or does it have to go out and be captured at 1080i and then go through 2:3 pull down to get back to the original 1080/24p? It seemed there was some loss of quality when I tried this process. Is there any thing else I can do to get a better uncompressed image from my camera in 1080p? My setup is below.

Mac Pro 12-core 2.66Ghz
Promise Vtrak E-Class 4TB RAID 5 Fibre Array
Final Cut Pro 7
Decklink Blackmagic Extreme HD
Sony NX5U Camcorder

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: NX5U HD-SDI Output Question
on Oct 24, 2010 at 8:33:01 pm

Scott,

Did you ever find a way to get other hd sdi at 24p to come from the nx?

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index

Scott Frace
on Oct 24, 2010 at 11:00:28 pm

I had a talk with the Sony technicians and they explained to me that on the NX5U only 1080/60i can be sent out. So if your using the 1080/24p it is converted into a 1080/60i stream when sent through the HD-SDI jack using 2:3 pulldown. You have to capture it as 1080/60i then use a reverse telecine to remove the 2:3 pulldown. Some capture cards have automatic 2:3 pulldown removal and can do this on the fly and I know the NanoFlash SDI is suppose to have automatic pull down removal so you can capture 24p. In essence you are capturing 24p in every method it's just disguised in a 60i signal. I hope this made sense and is some help.

Return to posts index

Don Greenfield
on Nov 10, 2010 at 11:29:42 pm

so a quick question - does the Blackmagic Decklink Extreme HD allow you to connect directly to the nxcam? the card looks like it must go in a workstation vs. a laptop - is that true or can the card actually go into the mac pro laptop?

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Nov 10, 2010 at 11:46:15 pm

Scott,

In reading the NXcam manual, it is silent on whether the HD-SDI output is of any higher quality than what is stored on the card.

That is, in terms of 4:2:0 versus 4:2:2 sampling.

My interpretation is the HD-SDI output is the same 4:2:0 sampling, just before compressing to AVCHD format for the card storage.

Are you saying that you are getting lower quality through the SDI port than through storing it as AVCHD on camera, then decompressing it in a computer?

Have you talked with the Sony Tech support on your question?

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index

Scott Frace
on Nov 11, 2010 at 2:01:15 pm

The HD-SDI output is 4:2:2 sampling and so is the HDMI output. I talked to Sony representative and they explained that the HD-SDI outputs the highest quality possible from the camera, however if you are shooting anything other than 60i, it goes through a 3:2 pulldown that must be removed in post. There is no loss of quality when doing this, it's still the 24p or 30p footage just hidden in a 60i stream since that is all that can be sent through HD-SDI. I hope this answered your question.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]