FORUMS: list search recent posts

NX5U is sensitive to RF energy

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john lenihan
NX5U is sensitive to RF energy
on Aug 30, 2010 at 3:51:26 pm

I discovered that the NX5U is sensitive to RF Energy and I want to save you the frightening moment I had recently...Twice.

1. I had a wireless video transmitter on my camera to remote monitor what my other camera operator was shooting in a multicam shoot.

It was a cheap one at about 400 mhz. The device was laid on top of the camera. Suddenly, the focus system started moving from zero to infinity and back. I found that the transmitter was laid across the keypad area under where the monitor closes. When I moved the antenna about a foot away, the ghost focusing stopped.

2. Another day, no wireless transmitter. However, I had a second wireless receiver mounted on the rear hot shoe. The first wireless receiver was mounted on the front hotshoe and I use this configuration all the time. The rear wireless receiver, in the 650 mhz range, had its antenna laying across that same keypad which resides on top of the camera. Suddnely, the zoom started moving to full zoom. I could zoom it back but as soon as I let go of the controls it went to full zoom.

I roted the wireless receiver 90 degress so the antenna pointed out to the right of the acamera and the ghost zoom stopped.

Sony Please fix this.

Users, please be carefull.

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions

http://www.lenicam.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
Re: NX5U is sensitive to RF energy
on Aug 30, 2010 at 11:33:41 pm

Thanks for the heads up John!

Return to posts index

Scott Gifford
on Sep 16, 2010 at 7:27:35 pm

Hi John, congratulations on accepting the host position on the forum. I believe you are the right guy on this site.

I was talking to one of my shooters about a similar problem you described regarding ghost focusing. He operates a Sony Z5. When his camera is close to his apple iphone, the zoom controls and focus start moving. He believes there is some FQ waves which can interfere with the controls of his camera.

Scott Gifford
Scott Gifford Studios

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Sep 16, 2010 at 10:14:37 pm

Thanks for the update Scott,

Hi havent' done conclusive tests, but it seems like it is the keyboard area that is underneath the lcd panel that is most sensitive.

That looks like the same design as in the z5, so I am not surprised.

I wish that our friendly Sony Product manager would be an active participant so we can help him help make the product better.

John

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

rodrigo fajardo
on Oct 27, 2010 at 8:54:12 pm

Hi dude thanks for the input, i just want to know if maybe that could be happening because bad shielding in the RF receiver, you said that it was a cheap one. could you confirm that the ghost happens altough GPS is turned off?

best

Rodrigo

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Oct 27, 2010 at 9:35:51 pm

Rodrigo,

I confirm it was NOT while the GPS is on. I haven't found a use for the GPS at this point, and it just drains the battery too much but it is cute.

The problem I talked about was not a problem with my receiver. I use a sennheiser G3 and there is not problem at all.

The problem was with a video transmitter I use connected to the composite output. I use it to monitor my assistant's shot's so I can make sure are not moving at the same time. The problem occurs when the transmitter antenna is laid across that top menu structure. That is when the zoom and focus motors go nuts.

If I make sure the transmitter antenna is pointing down behind the camera, there is not a problem or if the antenna from the transmiter is mounted on the tripod.

John

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Matt Westerman
on Nov 20, 2011 at 2:17:14 pm

This is great info I'm having the same ghost focusing problem with my NX but it has to do with the communicaon system we are using (cheap) and the length of time that the camera is on. Once I restart the camera the cycle seems to start all over again but the length of time it takes for the problem to come back seems to vary greatly. Still running tests to see if I can nail down what is triggering it but I would love a fix from Sony.

Matt Westerman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]