FORUMS: list search recent posts

All short clips end at :00 or :15

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenny Holl
All short clips end at :00 or :15
on Nov 5, 2017 at 5:07:32 pm

Has anyone else noticed this problem where all of my short clips that I record (usually under 1 minute) end at either :00 or :15, usually showing me moving my camera at the end of the clip? I use Sony nx5u's and it happens on both of my cameras. Is there a setting that defeats this? Is there a reason for it? Why does it happen on short clips, where it's more of a pain to deal with and not longer clips where it would be such a big deal? Am I going to have to learn to hold all my short shots for an extra beat or two after I pause the camera?

Return to posts index

john lenihan
Re: All short clips end at :00 or :15
on Nov 5, 2017 at 6:38:24 pm

I have not noticed the first situation you describe? Can you provide more details on how it is causing a problem?

Regarding the second problem, that one is simple, you are moving the camera as you press the button to stop the recording. I know you don't feel like you are, but you are.

If you use a tripod with a remote controller you won't see the movement at the end of the clip.

You have to practice very hard to squeeze the record button to end the clip without moving it until the record light is off. Have someone videotape your handheld shooting and you will see yourself doing it.

john

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions
http://www.lenicamvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Kenny Holl
on Nov 5, 2017 at 6:50:36 pm

What I mean is, normally with other cameras, when I would shoot some video, especially short clips, they might be 14:21(14 seconds and 21 frames) or 13.07 (13 seconds and 7 frames in length) or something like that. But with the nx5u, all the clips end in either :00 or :15. So, if it was supposed to be 14:21, it keeps recording until 15:00, or 13.07 would continue recording until 13.15. And when I bring it back to edit, the last couple of frames have me moving. (I have been shooting for decades, so I'm pretty well versed in keeping my hand steady for the end of the shot.) In any case, it is definitely a situation where the camera continues to record a few extra frames until it gets to a stopping point of either an exact second or half a second. Anyone else have this problem?

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Nov 6, 2017 at 4:25:23 pm

I have 8 years of various footage from 6 NX cameras.

I just pulled 50 short ones into my editor and I now see what you are saying. Below 1 minute, it goes in have second increments. Above 1 minute, it is random.

I have never noticed this before, but I can verify mine does it too.
john

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

Kenny Holl
on Nov 6, 2017 at 4:40:34 pm

Weird, huh? I wonder two things. Is there any setting that can turn that off, whatever it is called? If not (and I suspect there is nothing to turn that off), I wonder why it was manufactured that way. I can't see any benefit to it and can't imagine it being easier to manufacture that way or anything that anyone would specifically want a camera to do? I'm just flummoxed by it.

That being said, it's not a big problem, either. I'm just wondering.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Nov 6, 2017 at 9:09:37 pm

Well I learned a new word. I had to look up flummoxed to see what you meant.

Over 8 years, if there was a way of turning it off, I would have accidentally or somehow found it.

John

John Lenihan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]